Mar 11, 2011, 9:11 AM EST
When you have a nearly blind-drunk guy taking swigs from a bottle of scotch while sitting in his car mere minutes after threatening to blow up a bar for not serving him and then swerving all over the road, you probably have a pretty strong DUI case. So you could understand why the prosecutor in the Miguel Cabrera case may get a little mad about the behavior of his star witnesses.
Seems that the arresting officers were joking with one another about their celebrity suspect, comparing him to members of K.C. and the Sunshine Band and Molly Hatchet in terms of big names they’ve arrested. Oh, and in the midst of all of this jocularity, they neglected to get dashboard video of their interaction with Cabrera and their arrest.
Without a breath test, the testimony of the officers is critical to establish Cabrera’s drunkenness. With all of the joking around, the officers’ credibility is taken down a peg. Without dashboard video, there is nothing to corroborate the officers’ word.
It’s probably not enough to let Cabrera walk or anything — indeed, the likelihood of him pleading out to get this behind him is pretty high — but it’s this sort of thing that makes prosecuting attorneys pull their hair out.
(thanks to Karen S. for the heads up)
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)