Mar 11, 2011, 9:11 AM EST
When you have a nearly blind-drunk guy taking swigs from a bottle of scotch while sitting in his car mere minutes after threatening to blow up a bar for not serving him and then swerving all over the road, you probably have a pretty strong DUI case. So you could understand why the prosecutor in the Miguel Cabrera case may get a little mad about the behavior of his star witnesses.
Seems that the arresting officers were joking with one another about their celebrity suspect, comparing him to members of K.C. and the Sunshine Band and Molly Hatchet in terms of big names they’ve arrested. Oh, and in the midst of all of this jocularity, they neglected to get dashboard video of their interaction with Cabrera and their arrest.
Without a breath test, the testimony of the officers is critical to establish Cabrera’s drunkenness. With all of the joking around, the officers’ credibility is taken down a peg. Without dashboard video, there is nothing to corroborate the officers’ word.
It’s probably not enough to let Cabrera walk or anything — indeed, the likelihood of him pleading out to get this behind him is pretty high — but it’s this sort of thing that makes prosecuting attorneys pull their hair out.
(thanks to Karen S. for the heads up)
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)