Mar 11, 2011, 9:11 AM EDT
When you have a nearly blind-drunk guy taking swigs from a bottle of scotch while sitting in his car mere minutes after threatening to blow up a bar for not serving him and then swerving all over the road, you probably have a pretty strong DUI case. So you could understand why the prosecutor in the Miguel Cabrera case may get a little mad about the behavior of his star witnesses.
Seems that the arresting officers were joking with one another about their celebrity suspect, comparing him to members of K.C. and the Sunshine Band and Molly Hatchet in terms of big names they’ve arrested. Oh, and in the midst of all of this jocularity, they neglected to get dashboard video of their interaction with Cabrera and their arrest.
Without a breath test, the testimony of the officers is critical to establish Cabrera’s drunkenness. With all of the joking around, the officers’ credibility is taken down a peg. Without dashboard video, there is nothing to corroborate the officers’ word.
It’s probably not enough to let Cabrera walk or anything — indeed, the likelihood of him pleading out to get this behind him is pretty high — but it’s this sort of thing that makes prosecuting attorneys pull their hair out.
(thanks to Karen S. for the heads up)
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)