Mar 11, 2011, 9:11 AM EDT
When you have a nearly blind-drunk guy taking swigs from a bottle of scotch while sitting in his car mere minutes after threatening to blow up a bar for not serving him and then swerving all over the road, you probably have a pretty strong DUI case. So you could understand why the prosecutor in the Miguel Cabrera case may get a little mad about the behavior of his star witnesses.
Seems that the arresting officers were joking with one another about their celebrity suspect, comparing him to members of K.C. and the Sunshine Band and Molly Hatchet in terms of big names they’ve arrested. Oh, and in the midst of all of this jocularity, they neglected to get dashboard video of their interaction with Cabrera and their arrest.
Without a breath test, the testimony of the officers is critical to establish Cabrera’s drunkenness. With all of the joking around, the officers’ credibility is taken down a peg. Without dashboard video, there is nothing to corroborate the officers’ word.
It’s probably not enough to let Cabrera walk or anything — indeed, the likelihood of him pleading out to get this behind him is pretty high — but it’s this sort of thing that makes prosecuting attorneys pull their hair out.
(thanks to Karen S. for the heads up)
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)