Mar 11, 2011, 12:45 PM EST
Chuck Greenberg’s ouster as Rangers’ owner and managing partner is official. And with it comes statements from both the team and Greenberg. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has them each in their entirety. The Rangers played the “we wish him well in his future endeavors” card, which is just a half step above “don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.” Here’s Greenberg’s most relevant passage:
“I have great respect for the Texas Rangers franchise and am enormously proud of all we have accomplished together since August. Unfortunately, Nolan Ryan, the Co-Chairmen, and I have somewhat different styles. While I am disappointed we did not work through our differences, I remain wholeheartedly committed to doing what’s right for the franchise. Together we concluded it is best for all concerned for me to sell my interest back to Rangers Baseball Express and move on. I do so with a heavy heart, but with every confidence in the direction that the new management team is taking the Rangers and, with Nolan at the helm, I know this franchise will continue to thrive and reach even greater heights both on and off the field.”
As the picture indicates, one does not “work out one’s differences” with Nolan Ryan.
Anyway, Greenberg doesn’t even keep his minority share. Man, that’s a year and a half of his life he’s never getting back. A year and a half full of litigation and strife, concluding with a kick to the curb. Awesome.
My biggest question: what does he do with the big leather Texas Rangers varsity-style jacket I saw him wearing down in Orlando for the Winter Meetings? That thing had to cost several hundred dollars. Now he can’t wear it anywhere!
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (138)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)