The Rangers and Chuck Greenberg release statements

Mar 11, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT

Ryan Greenburg

Chuck Greenberg’s ouster as Rangers’ owner and managing partner is official. And with it comes statements from both the team and Greenberg.  The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has them each in their entirety.  The Rangers played the “we wish him well in his future endeavors” card, which is just a half step above “don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.”  Here’s Greenberg’s most relevant passage:

“I have great respect for the Texas Rangers franchise and am enormously proud of all we have accomplished together since August. Unfortunately, Nolan Ryan, the Co-Chairmen, and I have somewhat different styles. While I am disappointed we did not work through our differences, I remain wholeheartedly committed to doing what’s right for the franchise. Together we concluded it is best for all concerned for me to sell my interest back to Rangers Baseball Express and move on. I do so with a heavy heart, but with every confidence in the direction that the new management team is taking the Rangers and, with Nolan at the helm, I know this franchise will continue to thrive and reach even greater heights both on and off the field.”

As the picture indicates, one does not “work out one’s differences” with Nolan Ryan.

Anyway, Greenberg doesn’t even keep his minority share.  Man, that’s a year and a half of his life he’s never getting back. A year and a half full of litigation and strife, concluding with a kick to the curb.  Awesome.

My biggest question: what does he do with the big leather Texas Rangers varsity-style jacket I saw him wearing down in Orlando for the Winter Meetings? That thing had to cost several hundred dollars.  Now he can’t wear it anywhere!

1. BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Sounds like Greenberg wasn’t getting his way, threw a hissy fit, and walked out.
    PS. There’s a version of the picture on this post on tauntr that has Cigar Guy pummelling Ventura.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I am somehow more sympathetic with the “Greenberg losing a year and a half of his life” camp.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:00 PM

And what’s with this “Rangers Baseball Express” nomiker stuff? When retailers use the word “Express” it usually means a scaled-down, opportunistic use of cheap, temporary mall space. As in, if this half-assed store makes money in prime season, someday we may rent footage for a permanent version. If not, WTF.

• pwf207 - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM

one of nolan ryan’s nicknames in his playing days was “the ryan express” equating the speed of his fastball with that of speeding train, like the orient express. please no allegations of racial insensitivity for the use of “orient”, it was a real thing and has entered popular culture, that’s why i used it as an example.

• jkcalhoun - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Don’t you know we’re riding on the Arlington Express?

• BC - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM

And Greenberg has a ticket on the Arlington Express, headed out of town.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Sorry for my faux pas, I’d not heard of this Ryan Express stuff. Perhaps because he was never a True Yankee. A True Metropolitan, I guess.

• hackerjay - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM

The “Ryan’s Express” nickname actually came from a Frank Sinatra movie that came out a few years before Nolan got famous. The movie was “Von Ryan’s Express”, and it was about a train.

If I remember right, the nickname was given to Nolan not just because his name was in the title of the movie, but it was also a play on Walter Johnson’s nickname, The Big Train.

2. heynerdlinger - Mar 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

The minority owners probably don’t get any share of the team revenue, so Greenberg probably wants his cash back in his control, earning him money.

• Joe - Mar 11, 2011 at 2:15 PM

What makes you think that a minority owner wouldn’t share in profits? There would be no incentive to invest if there wasn’t some financial return.

I wonder how much his investment appreciated since the sale? It’s only been a few months, but it included a trip to the Series.

3. seeingwhatsticks - Mar 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Mess with the bull, get the horns.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3222)