Mar 11, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
Takashi Saito has been unable to get in touch with his parents in Japan following last night’s massive earthquake, so the veteran reliever has left Brewers camp after asking the team for an indefinite leave of absence.
Saito was born and attended college in Sendai, where the 8.9 magnitude earthquake hit.
UPDATE: Good news, via McCalvy: Saito’s family is “safe and accounted for.”
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 4
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)