Mar 12, 2011, 1:17 PM EST
Adrian Beltre has made enough progress from his right calf injury that Rangers manager Ron Washington feels he could be able to make his spring debut Monday against the Dodgers, according to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas.
If it isn’t Monday, it shouldn’t be long. Beltre ran the bases for a fourth straight day this morning and Washington mentioned he was running 4.2 seconds to first base and looked good during some difficult drills with the team’s strength and conditioning coach.
The 31-year-old third baseman feels two weeks of games will be “more than enough” time to get ready for the start of the season.
“I need to get in some games, see some breaking balls, get my timing and see the strike zone,” Beltre said. “Come April 1, you turn on the switch and that’s it.”
Beltre signed a five-year, $80 million contract with the Rangers in January after batting .321/.365/.553 with 28 homers, 102 RBI and a .919 OPS with the Red Sox last season. He’ll be an improvement over Michael Young at third base and his righty bat should fit quite nicely in the middle of the Rangers’ lineup.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)