Mar 12, 2011, 3:44 PM EST
According to La Velle Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Mauer said he hopes to appear as a designated hitter sometime after Tuesday’s scheduled off day.
“Yeah I’d like to,” he said. “Like I said, it was the first day. We have to see how we feel tomorrow and the next day, but if I’m feeling good then, yeah, I want to get in there.”
Mauer has been sidelined for the early part of the exhibition schedule following offseason surgery on his left knee. He has received three injections over the past few weeks in order to lubricate his knee joint. He’s hopeful that the series of treatments will allow him to handle the rigors behind the plate this season.
As for any recent concerns that he wouldn’t be ready for Opening Day, Mauer says it was “never in doubt.”
Mauer, who turns 28 in April, batted .327/.402/.469 with nine home runs, 75 RBI and an .871 OPS over 137 games last season. He’s about to enter the first year of an eight-year, $184 million contract.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 0
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 278
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)