Mar 12, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, MLS commissioner Don Garber believes the Wilpons would make “great” owners of the league’s 20th franchise, despite their current financial and legal troubles.
“The success of our league is the core values of our ownership group and … I believe the Wilpons fit very well with our owners in terms of who they are and their values and their ethics,” Garber said. “I really hope they get through their issues quickly. I don’t believe the full story has been told, and I am very supportive of them.”
The Wilpons have been mentioned as potential MLS owners for a while now, as the league attempts to reboot the Cosmos and give the Red Bulls a rival in the New York market.
Mets executive vice president Dave Howard doesn’t deny the Wilpons’ interest, but tells Adam Rubin of ESPN New York it’s all in “the exploratory phase.” That’s a fancy way of saying we have no money.
Garber won’t rule out other investors or putting the 20th franchise in another market, but the pull to the Wilpons is understandable. There’s been talk in the past about potentially building a soccer stadium in the vacant Citi Field parking lot.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte