Mar 12, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, MLS commissioner Don Garber believes the Wilpons would make “great” owners of the league’s 20th franchise, despite their current financial and legal troubles.
“The success of our league is the core values of our ownership group and … I believe the Wilpons fit very well with our owners in terms of who they are and their values and their ethics,” Garber said. “I really hope they get through their issues quickly. I don’t believe the full story has been told, and I am very supportive of them.”
The Wilpons have been mentioned as potential MLS owners for a while now, as the league attempts to reboot the Cosmos and give the Red Bulls a rival in the New York market.
Mets executive vice president Dave Howard doesn’t deny the Wilpons’ interest, but tells Adam Rubin of ESPN New York it’s all in “the exploratory phase.” That’s a fancy way of saying we have no money.
Garber won’t rule out other investors or putting the 20th franchise in another market, but the pull to the Wilpons is understandable. There’s been talk in the past about potentially building a soccer stadium in the vacant Citi Field parking lot.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)