Mar 13, 2011, 12:13 PM EDT
It’s looking more and more like Justin Duchscherer isn’t going to be ready for action when the Orioles open their regular season.
According to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com, “The Duke of Hurl” had to be scratched from a scheduled intrasquad game appearance Sunday due to discomfort in his surgically-repaired left hip. He won’t throw on the side either.
Orioles skipper Buck Schowalter acknowledged after the the scratching that Duchscherer probably isn’t going to be able to fit in the 20 or so innings that he needs to be physically prepared for the role of a starter. He’s made only a two-inning appearance thus far and the O’s apparently don’t want to convert him back to a reliever.
Baltimore signed the right-hander to a one-year, $700,000 contract in late January. He hasn’t been fully healthy in a while, but Duchscherer still carries a shiny 3.13 career ERA and 1.14 career WHIP.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)