Mar 13, 2011, 12:13 PM EDT
It’s looking more and more like Justin Duchscherer isn’t going to be ready for action when the Orioles open their regular season.
According to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com, “The Duke of Hurl” had to be scratched from a scheduled intrasquad game appearance Sunday due to discomfort in his surgically-repaired left hip. He won’t throw on the side either.
Orioles skipper Buck Schowalter acknowledged after the the scratching that Duchscherer probably isn’t going to be able to fit in the 20 or so innings that he needs to be physically prepared for the role of a starter. He’s made only a two-inning appearance thus far and the O’s apparently don’t want to convert him back to a reliever.
Baltimore signed the right-hander to a one-year, $700,000 contract in late January. He hasn’t been fully healthy in a while, but Duchscherer still carries a shiny 3.13 career ERA and 1.14 career WHIP.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)