Mar 13, 2011, 9:51 AM EDT
The Red Sox may be looking to unload some of their depth at various positions before the start of the 2011 regular season schedule.
According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Sawx have let other major league teams know that starters Daisuke Matsuzaka and Tim Wakefield are available via trade and that outfielders Mike Cameron and Darnell McDonald can also be had for the right price.
Now it’s all about finding the right trading partner.
Matsuzaka isn’t going to be very attractive to other clubs given the 4.79 ERA that he registered in the second half of the 2010 season and the 11.42 ERA that he’s posted across three Grapefruit League starts this spring. On top of all that, he is owed $20 million over the next two seasons.
Wakefield isn’t going to be easy to move either because of his old age and stated intentions to retire soon, and Cameron and McDonald would only start in the outfield on a handful of non-contending clubs.
The four veterans may intrigue some GMs around the big leagues, but any trade is going to be difficult. Also, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has already vehemently denied Edes’ report, labeling it “false.”
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 31
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)