Mar 13, 2011, 9:51 AM EDT
The Red Sox may be looking to unload some of their depth at various positions before the start of the 2011 regular season schedule.
According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Sawx have let other major league teams know that starters Daisuke Matsuzaka and Tim Wakefield are available via trade and that outfielders Mike Cameron and Darnell McDonald can also be had for the right price.
Now it’s all about finding the right trading partner.
Matsuzaka isn’t going to be very attractive to other clubs given the 4.79 ERA that he registered in the second half of the 2010 season and the 11.42 ERA that he’s posted across three Grapefruit League starts this spring. On top of all that, he is owed $20 million over the next two seasons.
Wakefield isn’t going to be easy to move either because of his old age and stated intentions to retire soon, and Cameron and McDonald would only start in the outfield on a handful of non-contending clubs.
The four veterans may intrigue some GMs around the big leagues, but any trade is going to be difficult. Also, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has already vehemently denied Edes’ report, labeling it “false.”
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 2
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 50
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)