Mar 13, 2011, 3:04 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks acquired Zach Duke in a trade with the Pirates this winter with the intention of adding depth to their starting rotation. Arizona was thinking that the 27-year-old southpaw would do well with a change of scenery after finishing with a 5.72 ERA over 29 starts for the Bucs in 2010.
But things have been a bit rocky this spring.
Duke has allowed a whopping 18 hits and eight runs over his first eight innings of Cactus League play and he was forced from his Saturday evening appearance against the Rockies after taking a line drive off the back of his pitching hand.
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic caught up with Duke on Sunday morning. He sounded optimistic about the injury being minor, though he offered no explanation for his recent struggles on the mound.
“I can move my fingers,” said Duke. “Obviously, there’s discomfort. But I feel pretty good about it. . . . They did some tests, some trainers’ tests where they pushed on my knuckles and everything. I didn’t have any sharp, shooting pains or anything.”
The D’Backs will likely scratch Duke from his next scheduled start as a precautionary measure. He should be healthy in about a week, but effectiveness may continue to escape him right on through Opening Day.
UPDATE: Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Duke has two broken bones in his pitching hand and won’t throw a baseball for at least the next month.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)