Mar 14, 2011, 8:18 PM EDT
Well, this doesn’t sound good.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Andrew Bailey left today’s game against the Indians in the bottom of the seventh inning due to right elbow discomfort. Bailey was clutching at his elbow before he left the mound.
Of course, Bailey underwent Tommy John surgery back in 2005 and had his elbow cleaned up by Dr. James Andrews last September, so there’s real reason for concern here. Oddly, Slusser notes that the media has already been told that Bailey will not be talking about the injury following the game. This is speculation on my part, but perhaps he is already on his way for testing.
The Athletics stocked up on bullpen help during the offseason by adding Brian Fuentes and Grant Balfour. It’s too soon to say that Bailey will have to miss significant time, but they may need to use every bit of that depth this season.
UPDATE: This isn’t necessarily a good thing, but A’s manager Bob Geren told Jane Lee of MLB.com that Bailey “felt tightness in his forearm area.” He is expected to get checked out either tonight or tomorrow.
UPDATE II: Bailey tells Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle via text message that he is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews tomorrow. He is currently feeling both elbow and forearm discomfort.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)