Mar 14, 2011, 8:18 PM EDT
Well, this doesn’t sound good.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Andrew Bailey left today’s game against the Indians in the bottom of the seventh inning due to right elbow discomfort. Bailey was clutching at his elbow before he left the mound.
Of course, Bailey underwent Tommy John surgery back in 2005 and had his elbow cleaned up by Dr. James Andrews last September, so there’s real reason for concern here. Oddly, Slusser notes that the media has already been told that Bailey will not be talking about the injury following the game. This is speculation on my part, but perhaps he is already on his way for testing.
The Athletics stocked up on bullpen help during the offseason by adding Brian Fuentes and Grant Balfour. It’s too soon to say that Bailey will have to miss significant time, but they may need to use every bit of that depth this season.
UPDATE: This isn’t necessarily a good thing, but A’s manager Bob Geren told Jane Lee of MLB.com that Bailey “felt tightness in his forearm area.” He is expected to get checked out either tonight or tomorrow.
UPDATE II: Bailey tells Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle via text message that he is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews tomorrow. He is currently feeling both elbow and forearm discomfort.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)