Mar 14, 2011, 8:18 PM EDT
Well, this doesn’t sound good.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Andrew Bailey left today’s game against the Indians in the bottom of the seventh inning due to right elbow discomfort. Bailey was clutching at his elbow before he left the mound.
Of course, Bailey underwent Tommy John surgery back in 2005 and had his elbow cleaned up by Dr. James Andrews last September, so there’s real reason for concern here. Oddly, Slusser notes that the media has already been told that Bailey will not be talking about the injury following the game. This is speculation on my part, but perhaps he is already on his way for testing.
The Athletics stocked up on bullpen help during the offseason by adding Brian Fuentes and Grant Balfour. It’s too soon to say that Bailey will have to miss significant time, but they may need to use every bit of that depth this season.
UPDATE: This isn’t necessarily a good thing, but A’s manager Bob Geren told Jane Lee of MLB.com that Bailey “felt tightness in his forearm area.” He is expected to get checked out either tonight or tomorrow.
UPDATE II: Bailey tells Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle via text message that he is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews tomorrow. He is currently feeling both elbow and forearm discomfort.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)