Mar 14, 2011, 8:18 PM EST
Well, this doesn’t sound good.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Andrew Bailey left today’s game against the Indians in the bottom of the seventh inning due to right elbow discomfort. Bailey was clutching at his elbow before he left the mound.
Of course, Bailey underwent Tommy John surgery back in 2005 and had his elbow cleaned up by Dr. James Andrews last September, so there’s real reason for concern here. Oddly, Slusser notes that the media has already been told that Bailey will not be talking about the injury following the game. This is speculation on my part, but perhaps he is already on his way for testing.
The Athletics stocked up on bullpen help during the offseason by adding Brian Fuentes and Grant Balfour. It’s too soon to say that Bailey will have to miss significant time, but they may need to use every bit of that depth this season.
UPDATE: This isn’t necessarily a good thing, but A’s manager Bob Geren told Jane Lee of MLB.com that Bailey “felt tightness in his forearm area.” He is expected to get checked out either tonight or tomorrow.
UPDATE II: Bailey tells Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle via text message that he is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews tomorrow. He is currently feeling both elbow and forearm discomfort.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 118
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)