Bill Hall calls Cole Hamels “a marked man” following on-field shouting match

Mar 14, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT

bill-hall-astros-spring Getty Images

During this afternoon’s Astros-Phillies game Bill Hall stepped out of the batters’ box to stop from being quick-pitched by Cole Hamels and Hamels responded by throwing the next pitch inside, at which point Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that Hall had to be “restrained by home plate umpire Laz Diaz.”

It didn’t go much further than that, as neither bench emptied and both sides were simply issued warnings, but after the game Hall called Hamels “a marked man.”

However, according to Levine it was “not in any sort of way that would imply physical harm, but that he might have taken a little extra delight off the hit he got in his next at-bat.” Hmm.

Here’s more from a very angry Hall:

I don’t know if he was mad because he gave up a homer or if he was mad because the umpire gave me time. But I’m not going to let him speed-pitch me. Obviously, he threw a pitch in, and I’m not going to let him disrespect me either. He kind of said something that I didn’t like too much. It’s over with.

He’s definitely a marked man for me now, so when I do some damage off him, I’m going to let him know I did some damage off him. I can guarantee that. I don’t feel like I do a lot of things to have pitchers mad at me for doing things on the field. I feel like I play the game the right way. But if you disrespect me, I’m going to do my best to disrespect you back. Obviously not in a way to disrespect the game, but obviously I’m going to let him know when I face him.

Hall is just 3-for-22 (.136) with seven strikeouts against Hamels during his career, so if that continues Hall won’t have a whole lot of chances to “let him know I did some damage off him.”

1. The Baseball Gods - Mar 14, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Bill Hall must just be upset that he is with his 4th different organization in 4 years. A career .250 hitter is now talking like he actually ever did anything in his 9 year career. The best thing he has done is last in the league for 9 years. Just play the game and stop talking crap on someone who has actually done something in his career.

2. pauleee - Mar 14, 2011 at 5:57 PM

How far inside was the next pitch? And since when is throwing inside direspecting a batter? You’re batting a buck-30 off him and you play for the Astros. He’s not disrespecting, he’s not even acknowledging your presence.

• fquaye149 - Mar 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM

I’m sorry, but do you honestly think it’s ridiculous for Bill Hall to be upset about getting brushed back during a SPRING TRAINING GAME?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 14, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Read the next comment. Calling time two straight times? Why wouldn’t Hamels be justified in throwing inside—which is diferent from brushing a guy back—after crap like that, spring training or not?

• fquaye149 - Mar 15, 2011 at 4:48 AM

I don’t know the whole story and didn’t see the game. If Hall’s throwing a hissy fit over Hamels just throwing inside that is indeed ridiculous. He seems to be claiming he was brushed back, but in any case, they’re both being a bit ridiculous trying to game each other with timeouts called and quick-pitches in Spring Training, inside/brushback pitches notwithstanding.

3. bleedgreen - Mar 14, 2011 at 6:00 PM

He asked for time 2 pitches in a row, and the ump didn’t give him time the second time and Hall got pissed because he wasn’t in the batters box. If you step out of the batter’s box during the pitchers wind up, and were not granted time, thats YOUR responsibility as a batter. Thats not disrespect from the pitcher, thats you respecting the pitcher as a batter and letting him do his job.

4. Utley's Hair - Mar 14, 2011 at 6:40 PM

“I don’t feel like I do a lot of things to have pitchers mad at me for doing things on the field.”

Like hitting? I guess he has a point there. How DARE you, Cole!!!!!!

5. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Bill who? Huh? I can’t figure out what is more stupid. Somebody writing a story about this…hardballtalk.com posting a blurb about it…or me actually wasting the minute it takes to comment on it. Probably all of the above.

6. byjiminy - Mar 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM

What does anyone’s batting average have to do with this? It’s about whether someone was justified in throwing something at someone or not. What’s your point — that it’s okay to throw things at people with bad batting averages?

Anyway, he’s not that bad. Check out his stats in 2005 (.291 BA) and 2006 (35 HR). And a .250 lifetime BA is totally respectable for a utility player who plays every position in the infield and outfield.

• macjacmccoy - Mar 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM

he didnt throw at him he threw inside. Thats a totally different thing. If you cant take a pitch inside then you shouldnt be playing baseball.

7. Jonny 5 - Mar 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

save it for the games that count guys. or not…..

8. smokehouse56 - Mar 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Hall averaged about .225 over the last three years. He’s a jerk who can’t hit a lick. I’m sure Hamels is scared to death. Not. Hall is a punk.

9. newbalancephiladelphiablog - Mar 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Good to see someone offered Bill Hall a minor league deal with spring training invite, but its gonna be hard for him to “do damage” against Cole playing for the Newark Bears in the Can-Am League.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3516)