Mar 14, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
Despite manager Don Mattingly telling Tony Jackson of ESPNLA.com that he doesn’t expect Casey Blake to miss significant time, the veteran third baseman is scheduled to undergo what the Dodgers are calling a “precautionary” MRI exam on his injured back.
For now Blake is expected to miss just a few days, but he also struggled through back problems for much of last season, hitting just .214 with a .619 OPS between June and July.
Blake, who left Saturday’s game after suffering the injury while running out a bunt, reported feeling some improvement yesterday.
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 0
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 1
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 23
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)