Mar 14, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT
Despite manager Don Mattingly telling Tony Jackson of ESPNLA.com that he doesn’t expect Casey Blake to miss significant time, the veteran third baseman is scheduled to undergo what the Dodgers are calling a “precautionary” MRI exam on his injured back.
For now Blake is expected to miss just a few days, but he also struggled through back problems for much of last season, hitting just .214 with a .619 OPS between June and July.
Blake, who left Saturday’s game after suffering the injury while running out a bunt, reported feeling some improvement yesterday.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 26
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)