Mar 14, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
Once upon a time Dustin McGowan was a promising young starter who threw 281 innings with a 4.20 ERA between 2007 and 2008, but injuries sidetracked his career and now the Blue Jays say he’ll be coming back as a reliever.
If he comes back at all, that is.
McGowan hasn’t pitched in a major-league game since July of 2008, during which time he’s had two shoulder surgeries, and Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that the Blue Jays are taking a “cautious approach” with his transition to relief, limiting him to 25-pitch bullpen session at less than full effort.
Currently on the 60-day disabled list so the Blue Jays can avoid using a 40-man roster spot on him, McGowan is likely headed to minor-league camp with the hope being that he can appear in a game there at some point later this month. Prior to the multiple surgeries McGowan definitely had the raw stuff to be a shutdown reliever, as his average fastball clocked in at 94.5 miles per hour, but the now 28-year-old right-hander has indicated that another setback could motivate him to retire.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)