Mar 14, 2011, 11:14 AM EDT
Last month Franklin Gutierrez left Mariners camp to be examined by doctors in an effort to determine the cause of the stomach problems that have plagued him since last year and today the team announced “great news” for the center fielder.
Gutierrez has been diagnosed with a “slow digestive tract” and team trainer Mitch Storey called it “just a simple thing” while adding that “there’s nothing wrong with him … he’s not sick.”
Here’s more from the trainer:
Some of it is food, some of it is how much food he eats at a time. He has to choose food better, quite honestly. There’s a lot involved in this to try to allow food to get through his stomach in a timely fashion. In the past, because it was slow, it would back up into his stomach so he could get cramps and not feel good and that would last for a couple of days.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that “Gutierrez has met with specialists and dietitians to come up with a plan for eating in the proper way to avoid stomach issues, and is also trying medication.”
In the meantime he’s back in Mariners camp and everyone seems very happy to finally find out what the problem is, even if it’s something Gutierrez will have to deal with long term.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)