Mar 14, 2011, 11:14 AM EST
Last month Franklin Gutierrez left Mariners camp to be examined by doctors in an effort to determine the cause of the stomach problems that have plagued him since last year and today the team announced “great news” for the center fielder.
Gutierrez has been diagnosed with a “slow digestive tract” and team trainer Mitch Storey called it “just a simple thing” while adding that “there’s nothing wrong with him … he’s not sick.”
Here’s more from the trainer:
Some of it is food, some of it is how much food he eats at a time. He has to choose food better, quite honestly. There’s a lot involved in this to try to allow food to get through his stomach in a timely fashion. In the past, because it was slow, it would back up into his stomach so he could get cramps and not feel good and that would last for a couple of days.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that “Gutierrez has met with specialists and dietitians to come up with a plan for eating in the proper way to avoid stomach issues, and is also trying medication.”
In the meantime he’s back in Mariners camp and everyone seems very happy to finally find out what the problem is, even if it’s something Gutierrez will have to deal with long term.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)