Mar 14, 2011, 11:14 AM EST
Last month Franklin Gutierrez left Mariners camp to be examined by doctors in an effort to determine the cause of the stomach problems that have plagued him since last year and today the team announced “great news” for the center fielder.
Gutierrez has been diagnosed with a “slow digestive tract” and team trainer Mitch Storey called it “just a simple thing” while adding that “there’s nothing wrong with him … he’s not sick.”
Here’s more from the trainer:
Some of it is food, some of it is how much food he eats at a time. He has to choose food better, quite honestly. There’s a lot involved in this to try to allow food to get through his stomach in a timely fashion. In the past, because it was slow, it would back up into his stomach so he could get cramps and not feel good and that would last for a couple of days.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that “Gutierrez has met with specialists and dietitians to come up with a plan for eating in the proper way to avoid stomach issues, and is also trying medication.”
In the meantime he’s back in Mariners camp and everyone seems very happy to finally find out what the problem is, even if it’s something Gutierrez will have to deal with long term.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)