Mar 14, 2011, 11:48 AM EDT
Heath Bell is eligible for free agency after this season, but the Padres closer said yesterday during a radio interview with MLB Network that he “definitely would take less” to re-sign with San Diego.
Bell, who said this offseason that it “would be my dream” to sign a long-term deal with the Padres, explained that he’s “very open to take a discount, but it has to be knowing that I’ll be able to stay here and not what happened to Jake Peavy.”
Peavy signed a three-year, $52 million extension with the Padres to potentially keep him in San Diego through 2013, but was traded to the White Sox before the new contract had even kicked in.
Bell is making $7.5 million in his third and final season of arbitration eligibility and, hometown discount or not, it’s far from a guarantee that the Padres will want to commit that type of money to a multi-term deal for a closer in his mid-30s. Of course, he’s not just any closer, with a 89 saves and a 2.32 ERA in two seasons since taking over for Trevor Hoffman, and if Bell is willing to take, say, a two-year deal in addition to giving a slight discount then there’s a pretty good chance the Padres would oblige. If they don’t fall out of contention this season and trade him in July, that is.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 53
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)