Mar 14, 2011, 8:23 AM EST
This is neat: The MLB Network got its hand on some rare 9.5mm footage of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson warming up at an event at Yankee Stadium in 1924. There’s a small snippet of it in this promo here, though you have to watch Harold Reynolds and Al Leiter farting around for a minute before you see it.
The footage seems to be in great condition and shows shows several slow motion shots of Ruth’s and Cobb’s swings and Johnson’s side-arm delivery. A delivery that — despite his and Randy Johnson’s outrageous velocity, unmatched success and uncommon durability with it — I am shocked more pitchers don’t use.
The footage will air in its entirety on the MLB Network tonight at
6PM Eastern 7PM Eastern. Now would be a good time for me to vent my anger that my cable company is terrible and does not carry the MLB Network and that it ought to be ashamed of itself.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)