Mar 14, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
This is neat: The MLB Network got its hand on some rare 9.5mm footage of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson warming up at an event at Yankee Stadium in 1924. There’s a small snippet of it in this promo here, though you have to watch Harold Reynolds and Al Leiter farting around for a minute before you see it.
The footage seems to be in great condition and shows shows several slow motion shots of Ruth’s and Cobb’s swings and Johnson’s side-arm delivery. A delivery that — despite his and Randy Johnson’s outrageous velocity, unmatched success and uncommon durability with it — I am shocked more pitchers don’t use.
The footage will air in its entirety on the MLB Network tonight at
6PM Eastern 7PM Eastern. Now would be a good time for me to vent my anger that my cable company is terrible and does not carry the MLB Network and that it ought to be ashamed of itself.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 1
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 29
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3