Mar 14, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
This is neat: The MLB Network got its hand on some rare 9.5mm footage of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson warming up at an event at Yankee Stadium in 1924. There’s a small snippet of it in this promo here, though you have to watch Harold Reynolds and Al Leiter farting around for a minute before you see it.
The footage seems to be in great condition and shows shows several slow motion shots of Ruth’s and Cobb’s swings and Johnson’s side-arm delivery. A delivery that — despite his and Randy Johnson’s outrageous velocity, unmatched success and uncommon durability with it — I am shocked more pitchers don’t use.
The footage will air in its entirety on the MLB Network tonight at
6PM Eastern 7PM Eastern. Now would be a good time for me to vent my anger that my cable company is terrible and does not carry the MLB Network and that it ought to be ashamed of itself.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)