Mar 14, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
This is neat: The MLB Network got its hand on some rare 9.5mm footage of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson warming up at an event at Yankee Stadium in 1924. There’s a small snippet of it in this promo here, though you have to watch Harold Reynolds and Al Leiter farting around for a minute before you see it.
The footage seems to be in great condition and shows shows several slow motion shots of Ruth’s and Cobb’s swings and Johnson’s side-arm delivery. A delivery that — despite his and Randy Johnson’s outrageous velocity, unmatched success and uncommon durability with it — I am shocked more pitchers don’t use.
The footage will air in its entirety on the MLB Network tonight at
6PM Eastern 7PM Eastern. Now would be a good time for me to vent my anger that my cable company is terrible and does not carry the MLB Network and that it ought to be ashamed of itself.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 0
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)