Must-click link: A really bad picture of Tim Lincecum leading a most excellent feature story about him

Mar 14, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT

Click Here large

Really, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an uglier picture of Tim Lincecum than the one at the top of this New York Times Magazine feature story about him. He looks like a cross between Anthony Kiedis and late-period Bob Dylan. I like all three of those guys, but man, it ain’t pretty.

Assuming you can get past that, however, you’ll be treated to a great feature on one of baseball’s best pitchers and arguably its most interesting. Well, great and interesting unless you’re an Indians fan and you don’t want to be reminded — again — that Lincecum would be pitching in Cleveland right now if the Tribe had offered him $600,000 more on his signing bonus in 2005. ¬†And this is fun:

He comes from a long line of physical and athletically gifted men. His grandfather, a part-time logger, could walk up and down stairs on his hands and fistfought as a hobby.

I like those bloodlines!

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM

So that’s what he looks like before his morning bong.

• dexterismyhero - Mar 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I would say after his morning bong!!!!

Wake n Bake Timmy!!!!!

2. joshfrancis50 - Mar 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM

His grandfather was Bill Brasky?!?!

3. marshmallowsnake - Mar 14, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Wow…I would change that picture fast. I think I saw that picture on the neighborhood watchdog site…Yeah, I would go with a different image.

4. Jonny 5 - Mar 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

He reminds me of a friend I had. A friend that weighed about 140 lbs wet. A friend who could easily beat the snot out of guys who weighed twice that. I know, I saw it plenty of times when bigger guys thought they could push him around. It was amusing to say the least. We usually had enough time to say Uh-Oh, before big dude was on the ground asking everyone “what happened” and “where am I”.

5. tomemos - Mar 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Everyone says the article is in “the New York Times Magazine,” but it’s actually in T Magazine, the NY Times’s style magazine. Am I the only one cultured enough to know the difference?

(Ironic the article would appear in the style mag, because it is a hideous picture.)

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Yes. Yes you are.

6. jwbiii - Mar 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I’ll go with late ’60s John Cale

• tomemos - Mar 14, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Nice reference! I bet you know the difference between the two magazines too.

7. Detroit Michael - Mar 14, 2011 at 1:40 PM

If the Indians had signed Lincecum, he wouldn’t be on their team anymore anyway. Once you’ve got a Cy Young award as an Indian, you instantly become trade bait.
    :-)

8. Detroit Michael - Mar 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM

The article was worth reading.

It had one minor factual error: Lincecum was taken in the draft after his junior year. (Baseball players who attend 4-year schools aren’t eligible before then.)

9. Panda Claus - Mar 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Pictures aside, that was a great article.

10. cur68 - Mar 15, 2011 at 1:32 AM

My. God. The man has the face of a mandril. Also, anyone who thinks he’s tiny need to check out that guys arms. He’s got grapefruits up each sleeve. I bet he’s who Roger Bernadina wants to be when he finishes filling out. Great article. Gives us ugly guys hope.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB