Must-click link: A really bad picture of Tim Lincecum leading a most excellent feature story about him
Mar 14, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
Really, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an uglier picture of Tim Lincecum than the one at the top of this New York Times Magazine feature story about him. He looks like a cross between Anthony Kiedis and late-period Bob Dylan. I like all three of those guys, but man, it ain’t pretty.
Assuming you can get past that, however, you’ll be treated to a great feature on one of baseball’s best pitchers and arguably its most interesting. Well, great and interesting unless you’re an Indians fan and you don’t want to be reminded — again — that Lincecum would be pitching in Cleveland right now if the Tribe had offered him $600,000 more on his signing bonus in 2005. And this is fun:
He comes from a long line of physical and athletically gifted men. His grandfather, a part-time logger, could walk up and down stairs on his hands and fistfought as a hobby.
I like those bloodlines!
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)