Mar 14, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Nate Robertson was a long shot to claim a spot in the Mariners’ rotation to begin with, but whatever slim chance he had is now gone with news that he’ll be sidelined for at least a month following surgery to remove “loose bodies” from his elbow.
Robertson signed a minor-league contract with Seattle after posting a 5.95 ERA in 101 innings for the Marlins and Phillies last season and hasn’t been effective and healthy in the same season since 2007.
Felix Hernandez, Jason Vargas, and Doug Fister are locks for the Mariners’ rotation, with Erik Bedard joining them if healthy. Now that Robertson is totally out of the mix Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that David Pauley, Luke French, and 22-year-old stud prospect Michael Pineda are the three finalists for the No. 5 starter gig.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)