Mar 14, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Nate Robertson was a long shot to claim a spot in the Mariners’ rotation to begin with, but whatever slim chance he had is now gone with news that he’ll be sidelined for at least a month following surgery to remove “loose bodies” from his elbow.
Robertson signed a minor-league contract with Seattle after posting a 5.95 ERA in 101 innings for the Marlins and Phillies last season and hasn’t been effective and healthy in the same season since 2007.
Felix Hernandez, Jason Vargas, and Doug Fister are locks for the Mariners’ rotation, with Erik Bedard joining them if healthy. Now that Robertson is totally out of the mix Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that David Pauley, Luke French, and 22-year-old stud prospect Michael Pineda are the three finalists for the No. 5 starter gig.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)