Nyjer Morgan thinks Ricky Nolasco purposely plunked him

Mar 14, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

Nyjer Morgan

Ricky Nolasco hit Nyjer Morgan with a pitch yesterday and Morgan said afterward that he believes it was on purpose, as payback for his a) separating catcher Chris Hayes’ shoulder on a collision at the plate and then b) charging the mound and throwing a punch at Chris Volstad the next day.

Both those incidents occurred during the final month of the season and resulted in a seven-game suspension for Morgan, so if Nolasco and the Marlins were indeed holding a grudge it wouldn’t have taken a particularly long memory.

Here’s what Morgan told Bill Ladson of MLB.com yesterday when asked if the plunking was on purpose:

No question, without a doubt. It’s obvious because of what happened last year. Obviously, they haven’t turned the page. But I’m going to be a stronger player, better person. I’m not going to react to it.

Morgan went on to say that, rather than get into another altercation, he chose to simply take first base, steal second base, and come around to score a run. Or as he put it: “I felt more satisfied after that than staring at him and putting on my mean mug.”

Ladson reports that “Nolasco denied trying to hit Morgan on purpose” and also hit Danny Espinosa in what was his first appearance of the spring after being sidelined by a thumb injury. No word yet on the status of Nolasco’s mean mug.

1. Travis Reitsma - Mar 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I think this is his mean mug http://bit.ly/guNHhC

2. BC - Mar 14, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Nyjer Morgan is a chipwich. Who does he think he is, Milton Bradley?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 14, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Just be glad he doesn’t think he’s Elijah Dukes.

3. Jonny 5 - Mar 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I think he may be right….. I know he’s a _____ and a ______ of a ______ too. But I personally like the guy and I hope he gets his _____ together. He’s fun to watch on the basepaths. Yeah, I was hooked on Mad Libs as a child…

• Utley's Hair - Mar 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

MADLIBS!!!!!!!!!!!

4. jpeetey - Mar 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Does Tony Plush come out when Morgan’s mean mugging?

5. Old Gator - Mar 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM

In other news on the Grapefruit circuit, Feesh underboss Larry Beinfest denied reports that the Feesh have lost six games in a row while putting forth a collective effort that would embarrass a tree sloth. According to Beinfest, Morgan’s plunking was not only all in Morgan’s own alleged mind, but that Nolasco hasn’t even taken the field yet this Spring. According to Beinfest, the Feesh are still sitting on the team bus that had a flat somewhere in central Florida just after their last victory, and they haven’t played since. The bus is waiting for the tire to come back from the recycling plant because Scrooge McLoria found out that it would be cheaper to retread it than to call for a heavy duty wrecker to drive all the way out to the bus from Lakeland.

6. xmatt0926x - Mar 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I used to admire Nyjer Morgan and his playing style. I always liked that pesky type player who always seemed to be a disruptive force with bunting, baserunning, etc. Kind of like Juan Pierre in his younger Marlins days. Now I just wish he’d go away. He’s trying way too hard to be the guy that everyone hates and his talent doesn’t justify the amount of times you have to read about him these days. Go away Nyjer.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2545)