Mar 14, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
For some reason Ron Gardenhire is becoming increasingly annoyed with how quickly and efficiently reporters are able to relay his words to the Twins-loving public via Twitter.
Here’s an amusing note from Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune:
When manager Ron Gardenhire announced Saturday that Nick Blackburn had made the rotation, it caused a mild stir in the Twins clubhouse.
“All you guys … tweeted and blogged and all those things,” Gardenhire told reporters Monday. “Before I could get back on the field, it was already back in here that we have a fourth starter. So [the other pitchers] went right to [pitching coach Rick Anderson]. It’s under control, Andy’s talked to them. We knew going in that they were fighting for a job.”
Gardenhire seems less than thrilled with how fast news travels these days, but he’s keeping his sense of humor. When asked if Matt Tolbert, Trevor Plouffe and Luke Hughes were on equal footing in their battle for a utility spot, the manager said: “Yes, equal footing. You can tweet that. Just tweet it. You don’t even have to write it. Just fire it through the Internet.”
Gardenhire also got angry when he told a room of people about Justin Morneau‘s doctor visit and the news was actually reported by, you know, reporters. It used to take a day for news to be printed in a newspaper. Then it took an hour for news to be posted on a blog. Now it takes a minute for news to be tweeted. Like many 53-year-olds Gardenhire isn’t embracing Twitter, but media reporting what he says about the team they cover hasn’t changed. It’s just a new method.
With that said, “just fire it through the internet” is comedy gold. Put it on a t-shirt, someone.
Also, you should all follow me on Twitter. Gardenhire would want it that way and I’m constantly just firing things through the internet on there.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)