Scratch that: Now Neftali Feliz wants to be a starting pitcher

Mar 14, 2011, 7:58 PM EDT

World Series Giants Rangers Baseball

A lot can change in seven days.

Neftali Feliz said just one week ago that he would prefer to remain in the bullpen, but he was singing a very different tune after tossing four innings of one-run ball against the Dodgers this afternoon.

According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Feliz is now on board with the idea of being a starting pitcher.

“That’s what we’re working for,” he said. “Right now, [his goal] is to start.”

What changed his mind? Well, Feliz has newfound confidence in his cutter, a pitch which expands his arsenal and could help him navigate tough American League lineups. The 22-year-old right-hander also had a conversation with Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux last week, where he may or may not have been informed about how much more money he could make as a starting pitcher in the long run.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Mar 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Nah…I’m sure it’s all about the cutter.

Players don’t care about making money. It’s all about winning championships.

…or something.

2. gt929 - Mar 14, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I think the whole “Feliz doesn’t want to start” story was overblown in the first place. From the quote I read, he said, through a translator and paraphrased, “I am comfortable closing, but I want to do whatever is best for the team.”

• Mike Luna - Mar 14, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I’m with you. Let’s not forget that he’s only 22 years old. At times he has been timid and doesn’t necessarily have a killer instinct.

That being said, I think he can definitely grow into the role of a starter and days like today can do a lot for his confidence level.

3. BC - Mar 15, 2011 at 9:29 AM

OK. Place your bets. When will Feliz make his first visit to Dr. James Andrews? I’ll take August 31st of this year.

• gt929 - Mar 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Anyone can get hurt at any time, but Neftali’s delivery is pretty free and easy for a guy who hits 3 digits occasionally.

Three legends off to Cooperstown