Mar 14, 2011, 3:00 PM EST
Jason Heyward was held out of today’s game due to back stiffness. A week or so ago he missed action because tightness in his hamstring. In the first week of March he missed action because of a sore groin.
None of this is serious, but as an official member of the Jason Heyward is So Totally Dreamy Club, I am concerned about his durability. He was probably only physically right for a month or two early last season and battled injuries the rest of the way. In spring this year he’s been shown to be susceptible to a lot of bumps, bruises, owies and other stuff that, while falling short of any real injuries, are troublesome. I’m heartened by memories of guys like Paul Molitor who were hampered by injuries early on but for whom it all evened out later. But I’m also kind of freaked that he’ll just never be completely healthy.
Phillies and Mets fans who wish to comfort me in my time of sorry may feel free to leave their kind thoughts in the comments. Your concern for my team’s well being is almost palpable.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)