Mar 14, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Jason Heyward was held out of today’s game due to back stiffness. A week or so ago he missed action because tightness in his hamstring. In the first week of March he missed action because of a sore groin.
None of this is serious, but as an official member of the Jason Heyward is So Totally Dreamy Club, I am concerned about his durability. He was probably only physically right for a month or two early last season and battled injuries the rest of the way. In spring this year he’s been shown to be susceptible to a lot of bumps, bruises, owies and other stuff that, while falling short of any real injuries, are troublesome. I’m heartened by memories of guys like Paul Molitor who were hampered by injuries early on but for whom it all evened out later. But I’m also kind of freaked that he’ll just never be completely healthy.
Phillies and Mets fans who wish to comfort me in my time of sorry may feel free to leave their kind thoughts in the comments. Your concern for my team’s well being is almost palpable.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)