Stop me if you’ve heard this, but Jason Heyward is banged up again

Mar 14, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT

Heyward_Jason

Jason Heyward was held out of today’s game due to back stiffness. A week or so ago he missed action because tightness in his hamstring.  In the first week of March he missed action because of a sore groin.

None of this is serious, but as an official member of the Jason Heyward is So Totally Dreamy Club, I am concerned about his durability.  He was probably only physically right for a month or two early last season and battled injuries the rest of the way.  In spring this year he’s been shown to be susceptible to a lot of bumps, bruises, owies and other stuff that, while falling short of any real injuries, are troublesome. I’m heartened by memories of guys like Paul Molitor who were hampered by injuries early on but for whom it all evened out later.  But I’m also kind of freaked that he’ll just never be completely healthy.

Phillies and Mets fans who wish to comfort me in my time of sorry may feel free to leave their kind thoughts in the comments. Your concern for my team’s well being is almost palpable.

1. cintiphil - Mar 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM

For a young man, he is hurt an awful lot. He is injured more than Pujols. I have seen a number of great potential players over the years and they all some sort of flaw.that’s why they are “potential” great players. If he can’t get well or is consistently hurt, he is of little use to the team. This year will tell what kind of player he will be, and how long his career will be. Hopefully, we will see him for a long time to come, as he does have great talent. I just wish some of these guys would go into the AL. We already have Albert.

2. xmatt0926x - Mar 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I think Mets fans are numb to the world right now. As a Phillies fan it’s beginning to look like we could use as much opposition nagging injuries as possible so I’m not complaining about poor Heywards woes. It’s funny though how these adonis-like machines seem to always get these nagging muscle pulls and spasms. I think it’s time to add some beer and hot dogs to the diet. It worked for the players back in the day. No matter what, it appears that the NL East is going to be a barn burner this year with the Phils, Braves and those pesky Marlins battling it out.

3. trevorb06 - Mar 14, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Craig, just like you said, ‘none of this is serious’.
    This can be chalked up to two things:
    1. The media is of course going to pounce on anything with the words injury, strasburg, harper, stanton, heyward, or any variation of the word injury.
    2. The Braves area going to be overly cautious with thier young slugger to protect their young commodity just like they would with a young pitcher.

You can still have dreamy young Griffey Jr. related dreams about Jason Heyward without worry. I promise it’ll all be okay.

4. Utley's Hair - Mar 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Just based on cerebral recollections, and with no stats or anything to back this up, I seem to remember Pat the Bat missing/leaving early from quite a few games for minor ailments.

That said, MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Jonny 5 - Mar 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM

He’s just being a big Sally girl. He’ll be just fine once he finally gets used to getting new owies every week.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 14, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I believe I have a standing bet with Mr. Pedro Cerrano about when the first injury story about Heyward would come out. I put the over/under at March 17th and said it would probably be a hammy or stiff back. Looks like he hit the exacta and did both days earlier than I expected.

I take no pleasure in this news, as we Phillies fans have our own concerns over Chase Utley. But it does make it all the more incredible how much Ryan Howard mashed his first 4 full seasons in the majors, when he AVERAGED 50 HRs and 140 RBIs, while a guy like Heyward, with all the same fanfare coming up, can’t stay on the field.

• Lukehart80 - Mar 14, 2011 at 4:40 PM

We’ll have to wait and see which guy has hit more home runs by their 30th birthday.

• mordecofe - Mar 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM

also helps that howard was 27 when he came into the majors…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I only write this to notify you that, yes, one of those thumbs downs is mine. Carry on.

7. mercyflush - Mar 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM

if you go back and look at alot of his write-ups when he was a prospect, the one (and only) thing that was a negative was his durability. Two examples: Keith Law and Baseball America, both of whom said he’s an A prospect, would definitley be an A+ except for the fact that he’s always had nagging injuries seems prone to get hurt.

8. BC - Mar 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Yeah, but it evened out for Molitor because he was a DH the last 60% or so of his career.

9. bigtrav425 - Mar 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM

So is he still good to keep as 1 of my keepers on my keeper league? lol

10. skerney - Mar 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I’ve thought all along that with his body type (big, strong, bulky bodies generally aren’t suited for fast twitch athletics like baseball) Heyward being hurt is something that Braves are going to have to get used to. Think Greg Oden. Tons of potential. Wrong Body for his sport.

11. fishfan46 - Mar 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Add this Marlins fan to the list of concerned citizens.

12. macjacmccoy - Mar 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Well thats what you get for showing so much excitement at the fact that utley and brown are hurt and the probably that guys like Rollins and Howard will get hurt bc of there history and age.

13. rje49 - Mar 14, 2011 at 7:01 PM

But I thought he was in the best shape of his life!

14. cur68 - Mar 15, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Kid’s still growing. He’s 21 and might not finish growing till he’s 23 or so. Hopefully his minor afflictions will ease after that as everything matures. Meantime; play it safe and keep him healthy.

15. sinatravegas - Mar 15, 2011 at 6:32 AM