Chris Davis wants the Rangers to trade him if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster

Mar 15, 2011, 2:57 PM EDT

davis_chris

The numbers don’t add up for Chris Davis in Texas. Between Mitch Moreland, Mike Napoli and Michael Young, there just aren’t going to be enough opportunities for him at first base with the Rangers. Indeed, there’s probably not even going to be room for him on the roster.  He seems to know that, however, and as he tells ESPN Dallas, he wants out:

“I just want to be in the big leagues, whether it’s here or somewhere else. In all fairness, I’ve done everything the Rangers have asked me to do. I’ve been a good sport about it. I’ve had a smile on my face and a good attitude about it. When it comes down to it, the fair thing to do is to give me a shot either here or somewhere else.”

I feel Davis’ pain. He has produced in the minors and, if given a job in the bigs, may very well prove to be a valuable guy. It’s not his fault that the Rangers have a backload of corner/DH guys.

But I am struck by the notion that both Davis and Michael Young talk a lot about how they’ve been good sports and how they have good attitudes as they’re venting to the press about their place on the team.  Or am I the only one who finds that a tad amusing?

1. heyblueyoustink - Mar 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Kind of like doing charity work and then bragging about all the good charity work out do to anyone who will listen

2. bigtrav425 - Mar 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Just because the open there mouth 1 time about does not make them bad sports about it.He wasnt bad mouthing them at all.He simply said he wanted out if they cant give him a shot that he actually deserves considering his minor league numbers.And ya cant Fault Young for actually wanting to play and earn his money

• ngearhart1981 - Mar 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM

A good sport would tell this to Nolan Ryan, not ESPN.

3. Mike Luna - Mar 15, 2011 at 3:48 PM

The “doing everything I was asked to do with a smile on my face” card is pretty weak, especially considering that it was Davis’ own struggles at the plate that led him to this point.

He was given two opportunities to take the 1B job in 2010, but he was leapfrogged by Justin Smoak and then Mitch Moreland.

No doubt he’s got a great glove, but he needs to stop complaining and find his swing.

• paperlions - Mar 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM

If Davis played well enough to keep the job, this wouldn’t be an issue. He played well enough to earn multiple shots at the job, but he hasn’t played well enough to keep it. Just like with Young, if he played well enough to earn/keep the job this wouldn’t be an issue. You would think these guys (Davis and Young) would have enough pride to want to earn the jobs and not to just have them handed to them; but I guess that isn’t a quality of being a “sport”.

• spudchukar - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM

The only thing in common that Young and Davis have is that they vocalized their discontent. Young has “earned” plenty. I am sure Davis’ request would be honored, if the Rangers would be lucky enough to find anyone to take him off their hands.

4. cur68 - Mar 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Just watching the Dodgers v Rangers (Kuo vs Ogando). Saw our boy Davis up to bat. He looks more like Josh Hamilton than Josh Hamilton, if you cask me. I’m not sure what pitch he’s waiting for but he’s late on strikes and can’t seem to hit a breaking ball. He’s making Kuo look good. Actually, Kuo is pretty good. Good movement and aggressive pitching. Be nice if they threw up the pitch speed. Ogando seems to be throwing real hard, too. Anyways, all this is besides the point; Davis looks tentative, like he’s doing something that doesn’t come naturally to him. Ah, my new favorite named player is up to bat; Ralph Davis Stoneburner.

5. Brian Murphy - Mar 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM

He has done everything the Rangers have asked him to do.

Except hit the ball at the major-league level on a semi-consistent basis. He hasn’t accomplished anything close to that.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto