Mar 15, 2011, 9:23 PM EDT
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Stewart is scheduled to start at third base tomorrow against the Rangers. It will be his first Cactus League action since spraining the MCL in his left knee in a collision with teammate Carlos Gonzalez in the Rockies’ exhibition opener back on February 26.
Stewart actually appeared in a “B” game against the Angels yesterday as the designated hitter, finishing 2-for-4 with a walk. Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that Stewart originally expected to return to Cactus League action Thursday night, but the Rockies apparently felt encouraged enough by his progress to move up his timetable.
There’s still a chance Stewart will have enough time to be ready for Opening Day, but if not, Ty Wigginton is an obvious short-term alternative at the hot corner.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)