It doesn’t sound like Carlos Beltran is going to be ready for Opening Day

Mar 15, 2011, 6:29 PM EST

Carlos Beltran

Carlos Beltran told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York earlier this afternoon that while he has been cleared for some baseball activities, he will be limited to hitting and other non-running activities for the time being.

Beltran reports that his knee currently feels “60 percent better” than it did one week ago and according to Jon Heyman of SI.com, he hopes to play in a game within a week.

Such a timetable obviously gives Beltran little time to get reps in right field, so the odds of him being ready for the season are getting pretty long at this point. Beltran essentially admitted as much to Rubin this afternoon, saying that Opening Day isn’t the finish line.

“I would love to be there for Opening Day, and I’m shooting for that for sure. But, at the same time, we’re being careful with this. I’m being careful. And I want to make sure that when I’m in there, I’m in there.”

If Beltran starts the season on the disabled list, the Mets will likely go with some combination of Scott Hairston, Willie Harris and Lucas Duda in right field.

1. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Carlos, take all the time you need because your contract is finished after this year, thank god!!

2. hulkhogan69 - Mar 15, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Carlos Beltran is one of the best players in Mets history. He put together three monster years from ’06-08 and all mets fans mention is the stupid strike out on a unhittable curveball. He hasn’t played much the past few years partly due to med staff follies but when healthy he was great and always played great and never got the love he deserved.

• chrisny3 - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:12 AM

He’s the best all-around centerfielder I’ve seen play. It’s really unfortunate that bad knees have cut his career short.

• BC - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:39 PM

He’s better than the Ken Griffey Jr. of the 1990s? Or Jim Edmonds? Or Bernie Williams? Or heck, even a pre-age-30 Andruw Jones? Not unless you’re 12 years old and don’t remember those guys in their prime.

• chrisny3 - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM

BC, I said “all-around.”

Edmonds career UZR/150 in CF is inferior and he was never as good on the basepaths as Beltran. His critics used to say that Edmonds would make the splashy dive/play just to show-off. At any rate, he was no better a defender than Beltran and an inferior baserunner.

As for Williams. please, don’t make me laugh. He had a good bat but his career wOBA is the same as Beltran’s while his defense is comparatively dismal (based on UZ. He also was not a baserunner the way Beltran has been. Beltran in his prime and early years for the Mets is a much better all-around centerfielder than Williams ever was.

Griffey Jr? OK, he was better than Beltran. But to be honest, I never watched him play much when he was in his prime, as he played on the West Coast and in the AL. By the time he got to the Reds, he wasn’t the same player anymore.

So I’ll amend my opinion to say that Beltran is the second best all-around centerfielder I’ve ever watched play.

3. hulkhogan69 - Mar 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM

always played his heart out I mean.

4. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Mar 16, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Okay, all together now, “When the Mets get healthy, they’ll have a heck of team”

• BC - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Sort of like, when I propose to Drew Barrymore she’ll say “yes”? I figure that’s an equal chance.
      They’re going to stink on ice for the next 4 to 5 years. Getting Beltran back won’t change that, other than maybe enabling them to trade him for a prospect or two.
      (Hmm… “stink on ice”…. I think it’s becoming my new catch phrase….)

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5728)