Mar 15, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Justin Duchscherer missed most of last season following hip surgery and today the oft-injured right-hander indicated to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun that the problem that forced him to go under the knife has returned.
He’s currently waiting to see the results of an arthrogram, but in what Zrebiec described as “an ominous comment” Duscherer said: “The best I can describe it is it felt like it did last year before I had to have it operated on.”
Duchscherer was scratched from his scheduled simulated game Sunday when he had difficulty getting loose and he certainly sounds like someone who expects to receive bad news, but the Orioles will likely know more about his status later today or early tomorrow. Baltimore is on the hook for just $700,000 in guaranteed money for Duchscherer, who must stay healthy to earn the various incentives in his one-year deal.
UPDATE: Zrebiec reports that the arthrogram “showed nothing new” and Duchscherer will be re-evaluated later this week.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59