Mar 15, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
I can’t remember who said it on Twitter yesterday, but someone said that the first two weeks of spring training are spent talking about how everyone is in such great shape and the next two weeks are spent talking about injuries. Seems that way. All of the injury news is starting to blend together for me, frankly.
But some stick out. Like this one: Heyman tweets that Ryan Zimmerman will be shut down for five days with a groin injury. Jim Riggleman just spoke to the media and said it wasn’t serious. Of course any injury to your most important player is serious on some level, but I get what he means.
When the season starts the threshold for what causes a guy to be held out of the linuep is way, way higher. And when guys aren’t held out of the lineup, a lot of these injuries go unnoticed and unreported. For now, though: we have a ton of this kind of thing.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 2
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)