Mar 15, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
I can’t remember who said it on Twitter yesterday, but someone said that the first two weeks of spring training are spent talking about how everyone is in such great shape and the next two weeks are spent talking about injuries. Seems that way. All of the injury news is starting to blend together for me, frankly.
But some stick out. Like this one: Heyman tweets that Ryan Zimmerman will be shut down for five days with a groin injury. Jim Riggleman just spoke to the media and said it wasn’t serious. Of course any injury to your most important player is serious on some level, but I get what he means.
When the season starts the threshold for what causes a guy to be held out of the linuep is way, way higher. And when guys aren’t held out of the lineup, a lot of these injuries go unnoticed and unreported. For now, though: we have a ton of this kind of thing.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)