Mar 15, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
It used to be that if a ball hit the “A” or “B” catwalk in Tropicana Field, the ball was in play, and it was fair or foul depending on where it came down. Apart from the sheer humiliation of playing in a park with catwalks that can be reached by batted balls in play, this led to a situation in which defenders had to track a ricocheting ball and baserunners and hitters had to stand around awkwardly trying to figure out what to do.
To remedy this situation, the Rays took the rare step of changing the ground rules for the place prior to the AL Division series last fall. For that series, balls that hit those two catwalks were considered dead balls.
Batted ball that is not judged a home run and strikes a catwalk, light or suspended object in fair territory shall be judged fair or foul in relation to where it strikes the ground or is touched by a fielder. If caught by fielder, batter is out and runners advance at own risk.
These catwalk rules are too sexy for Milan, too sexy for Milan, New York and Japaaaaan …
Don’t look at me like that. The word catwalk makes you think of that song too. And the funniest part of it all? Those two dudes actually have a Greatest Hits album. No, not “Greatest Hit.” “Hits.” Like, plural!
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)