Mar 15, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
It used to be that if a ball hit the “A” or “B” catwalk in Tropicana Field, the ball was in play, and it was fair or foul depending on where it came down. Apart from the sheer humiliation of playing in a park with catwalks that can be reached by batted balls in play, this led to a situation in which defenders had to track a ricocheting ball and baserunners and hitters had to stand around awkwardly trying to figure out what to do.
To remedy this situation, the Rays took the rare step of changing the ground rules for the place prior to the AL Division series last fall. For that series, balls that hit those two catwalks were considered dead balls.
Batted ball that is not judged a home run and strikes a catwalk, light or suspended object in fair territory shall be judged fair or foul in relation to where it strikes the ground or is touched by a fielder. If caught by fielder, batter is out and runners advance at own risk.
These catwalk rules are too sexy for Milan, too sexy for Milan, New York and Japaaaaan …
Don’t look at me like that. The word catwalk makes you think of that song too. And the funniest part of it all? Those two dudes actually have a Greatest Hits album. No, not “Greatest Hit.” “Hits.” Like, plural!
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)