Mar 15, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
It used to be that if a ball hit the “A” or “B” catwalk in Tropicana Field, the ball was in play, and it was fair or foul depending on where it came down. Apart from the sheer humiliation of playing in a park with catwalks that can be reached by batted balls in play, this led to a situation in which defenders had to track a ricocheting ball and baserunners and hitters had to stand around awkwardly trying to figure out what to do.
To remedy this situation, the Rays took the rare step of changing the ground rules for the place prior to the AL Division series last fall. For that series, balls that hit those two catwalks were considered dead balls.
Batted ball that is not judged a home run and strikes a catwalk, light or suspended object in fair territory shall be judged fair or foul in relation to where it strikes the ground or is touched by a fielder. If caught by fielder, batter is out and runners advance at own risk.
These catwalk rules are too sexy for Milan, too sexy for Milan, New York and Japaaaaan …
Don’t look at me like that. The word catwalk makes you think of that song too. And the funniest part of it all? Those two dudes actually have a Greatest Hits album. No, not “Greatest Hit.” “Hits.” Like, plural!
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)