Mar 15, 2011, 1:46 PM EST
Guillen recently experienced a setback in his recovery from knee surgery and Zumaya is likely still several weeks away from being cleared to throw following his latest arm problems, delaying his comeback from the broken elbow that ended his season in June.
They’ll begin the season on the disabled list and remain in Florida for extended spring training. Zumaya’s situation doesn’t really alter the Tigers’ immediate bullpen plans, as Jim Leyland has been preparing as if he wasn’t a lock to be ready for Game 1 anyway, but with Guillen out Will Rhymes and Scott Sizemore are now competing for the starting job at second base.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)