Mar 15, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Guillen recently experienced a setback in his recovery from knee surgery and Zumaya is likely still several weeks away from being cleared to throw following his latest arm problems, delaying his comeback from the broken elbow that ended his season in June.
They’ll begin the season on the disabled list and remain in Florida for extended spring training. Zumaya’s situation doesn’t really alter the Tigers’ immediate bullpen plans, as Jim Leyland has been preparing as if he wasn’t a lock to be ready for Game 1 anyway, but with Guillen out Will Rhymes and Scott Sizemore are now competing for the starting job at second base.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)