Mar 15, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Guillen recently experienced a setback in his recovery from knee surgery and Zumaya is likely still several weeks away from being cleared to throw following his latest arm problems, delaying his comeback from the broken elbow that ended his season in June.
They’ll begin the season on the disabled list and remain in Florida for extended spring training. Zumaya’s situation doesn’t really alter the Tigers’ immediate bullpen plans, as Jim Leyland has been preparing as if he wasn’t a lock to be ready for Game 1 anyway, but with Guillen out Will Rhymes and Scott Sizemore are now competing for the starting job at second base.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)