Mar 16, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
First of all, technically “some of the Yankee guys are getting older” is a statement of fact. We’re all “getting older” (with the notable exceptions of Halle Berry, Benjamin Button, and Mike Carey).
Setting that aside, Calcaterra noted that according to the average age of the rosters, the Phillies are actually the oldest team in baseball and the Yankees are merely the ninth-oldest.
Naturally general manager Brian Cashman was asked about Lee’s comments regarding the Yankees’ age and replied:
Some of our core guys that we have relied on have gotten up there, but we have a group of young players that we’re excited about. All we care about is being called champions. You can say anything else you want about us. When you call us old, that’s fine. It was a marriage that was not meant to be. That’s life.
All of which is more or less what you’d hope a GM would say when asked to respond to some random, one-sentence comment another team’s player made on the radio.
Lee turned down the Yankees because he’d rather play for the Phillies and rather play in Philadelphia. I’m not sure exactly how many times Lee needs to be asked to explain himself or how many articles need to be written analyzing the motives behind his decision, but I’m pretty confident the answer in both cases is “fewer than have already occurred.”
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)