Mar 16, 2011, 11:16 AM EDT
After spending a couple weeks in big-league camp Bryce Harper was optioned to high Single-A Hagerstown, where each of his at-bats will apparently be sponsored by “Miss Utility,” which is a service for construction workers to contact for information before digging into underground utility mains.
Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post passes along the press release announcing the sponsorship:
Prior to each of Harper’s at-bats, the Hagerstown Suns will announce, “Now batting, Bryce Harper, brought to you by Miss Utility, reminding you to call 811 before you dig.” They jumped at the opportunity to be connected with the top prospect in Major League Baseball, knowing that the window of opportunity as a nonprofit to be associated with an athlete of this caliber is very limited.
I’ll bet Harper’s agent, Scott Boras, isn’t quite as excited about his client’s new partnership, although “Miss Utility” is a non-profit organization.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45