Mar 16, 2011, 11:16 AM EDT
After spending a couple weeks in big-league camp Bryce Harper was optioned to high Single-A Hagerstown, where each of his at-bats will apparently be sponsored by “Miss Utility,” which is a service for construction workers to contact for information before digging into underground utility mains.
Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post passes along the press release announcing the sponsorship:
Prior to each of Harper’s at-bats, the Hagerstown Suns will announce, “Now batting, Bryce Harper, brought to you by Miss Utility, reminding you to call 811 before you dig.” They jumped at the opportunity to be connected with the top prospect in Major League Baseball, knowing that the window of opportunity as a nonprofit to be associated with an athlete of this caliber is very limited.
I’ll bet Harper’s agent, Scott Boras, isn’t quite as excited about his client’s new partnership, although “Miss Utility” is a non-profit organization.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)