Mar 16, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
Casey Blake underwent a “precautionary” MRI exam on his injured back and the results showed lower thoracic spine inflammation, with Tony Jackson of ESPNLA.com reporting that “he’s expected to miss minimal time.”
There’s no timetable yet for his return, but Blake reported feeling some improvement yesterday and is officially listed as day-to-day.
Blake struggled with back problems for a big chunk of last season as well, so the 37-year-old certainly isn’t out of the woods yet. Should he miss significant time the obvious replacement is Jamey Carroll, although he may play second base with Juan Uribe shifting to third base.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead