Few fans line up for Mets tickets. So what?

Mar 16, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT

Billy Joel's "The Last Play At Shea" Premieres At Citi Field Getty Images

The Bergen Record reports on the first day of Mets single-game ticket sales and paints a gloomy picture:

There was no wait at all until 10:25, when a line of just eight people formed. No one camped out overnight like years past; no one spent hours waiting. And plenty of good tickets still are available, as the cliché goes. One father walked away with four tickets to the home opener. Several others bought Subway Series games.

This is outrageously shocking and, frankly, depressing. I mean, people still actually line up to buy tickets in the cold when you can purchase them from the comfort of your own home via the Internet? Who were those eight people on line? Are they aware that they didn’t need to go down to Citi Field to buy tickets? I’m actually kind of worried about them.

Seriously, though, I know that Mets attendance isn’t fabulous, but I’m not sure how a snapshot of the ticket gate on a cold and crappy weekday morning on the first day really brings that home in a meaningful way.

I don’t think there’s an organized conspiracy to paint the Mets in a bad light, but it does seem like, when there is a chance to paint the Mets in a bad light, people really want to take it.

1. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Mar 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM

C’mon Craig, there are still grandparents who want to take their grandkids to the game. Unfortunately, they’ll forget to take away the little whelps’ phones and the kids will spend all game texting.

2. Old Gator - Mar 16, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Gee, you don’t think maybe the inclination to “paint the Mutts in a bad light” (can you paint with light? For that matter, can you paint with all the colors of the wind?) has anything to do with their horrendous on-field performance the past few years, their apocalyptically awful free-agent signings and contract extensions, their public relations bungling, their ongoing financial debacle, their exasperating Mexican standoff with Ollie Perez, the soulless corporate name of their new stadium, their hiring of an uninspired and uninspiring new manager, or their basement-level prospects for the 2011 season?

Naaaahhhh, it couldn’t be for any of those reasons. It must be part of the insidious Islamic conspiracy. Peter King ought to slobber on over to Citifield and hold another round of kangaroo hearings about it as soon as he sobers up.

• BC - Mar 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM

It’s all Nixon’s fault for taking us off the gold standard. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• cur68 - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I was going to make a crack about the Mets, BC, but I already used up my allowance of picking on your boys (once a day) and after your comments on another post I’ve decided to only pick on the Wilpons. It’s just too painful for me knowing how you suffer. So, in the interests of bucking you up (I realize that being “bucked up” is several letters of the alphabet away from how you usually feel vis a vis your team) I’m giving you a thumb-up.

3. farvefromover - Mar 16, 2011 at 9:23 AM

the Mets still have a team?

4. edgydc - Mar 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM

There’s not a little hyperbole in Old Gator’s post.

Extreme narratives sell. And the “Mets are an embarrassment” narrative is the one that’s selling right now.

Gator’s either buying it or selling it, but you don’t have to.

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Neither. Bartered for it. I got it at a Jivaro potlatch ceremony in return for a couple of shrunken heads of former Macondo politicians.

5. xnumberoneson - Mar 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I guess it’s not surprising that the folks at the Bergen Record think that people still buy tickets at the ballpark. Apparently they also think that people still buy newspapers.

6. BC - Mar 16, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Contrary to popular belief, I was NOT in line.
    What does it matter anyway. Something like 80% of ticket sales are done online or over the phone. The Mets will draw their 2 million fans, stink on ice, and then I’ll be able to focus on NASCAR (assuming there’s no NFL season).

7. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 16, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Granted, comparing the Phillies and Mutts is like comparing apples and oranges, but people DO still line up to buy tickets when the team is actually worth seeing…

• kellyb9 - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Yeah and I laughed at them lining up at the stadium too. I get all my tix through stubhub.

• chrisny3 - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Since most Phillies fans aren’t smart enough to use a computer, what else would you expect?

8. trevorb06 - Mar 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Really, I’m sure 75% of the teams experience a similiar scene. Craig, you should put the minions to work and have them do some research for you with the local papers for their teams to see how the opening ticket sales went. :-)

Gleeman probably camped out at the Twin’s booth even though he already ordered online.

• Professor Longnose - Mar 16, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Yeah. The Bergen Record guys said that there were more fans in previous years, which would be an apt comparison, but let’s get the research done. How was it in past years for the Mets and how is it for other teams this year?

9. aronmantoo - Mar 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM

When i was 20 years old I took my little brother to see the New york football Giants at Yankee Stadium. After the game we would take the subway to Madison Square Garden and catch a Rangers game, We started out in Nassau County NY. Food, Transportaion and tickets? Didn’t cost me 20 dollars for the day, Hey that’s like parking at a Mets game

• BC - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Parking secret: Just leave your car on Northern Boulevard with the hazards on. Paying to get it from the tow lot is cheaper than paying for parking.

• aronmantoo - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Sad when the fine is cheaper than the product

10. sdelmonte - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I never buy tickets that far in advance. And even back in the day, I rarely bought at the park. I remember Ticketron!

11. macjacmccoy - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I dunno about the internet if your trying to get tickets. Atleast not to Eagles games . If you want to get Eagles tickets at face value you better be lined up outside at the front of the line when they go on sale or you pretty much have a less then 50% chance of getting them.

• kellyb9 - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM

The only way you Eagles tickets at a slightly reasonable rate is by mugging someone at the stadium. Or you could go the always sunny route and jump in front of their car and threaten to sue.

• unconventionalidiot - Mar 16, 2011 at 5:47 PM

There are a few advantages to going to a ticket booth to get your tickets. Usually any “convenience charge” and other fees can be avoided. It’s easier to buy multiple games and you can get better feedback on the type of seats that are available for a given game rather than hitting the “search again” button. With regards to demand, here in Chicago there’s always a news story about fans lined up outside of Wrigley Field to buy tickets when they go on sale in February. Yes, there were fewer fans this year than last, but the line was still really long.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2974)