Mar 16, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
The Bergen Record reports on the first day of Mets single-game ticket sales and paints a gloomy picture:
There was no wait at all until 10:25, when a line of just eight people formed. No one camped out overnight like years past; no one spent hours waiting. And plenty of good tickets still are available, as the cliché goes. One father walked away with four tickets to the home opener. Several others bought Subway Series games.
This is outrageously shocking and, frankly, depressing. I mean, people still actually line up to buy tickets in the cold when you can purchase them from the comfort of your own home via the Internet? Who were those eight people on line? Are they aware that they didn’t need to go down to Citi Field to buy tickets? I’m actually kind of worried about them.
Seriously, though, I know that Mets attendance isn’t fabulous, but I’m not sure how a snapshot of the ticket gate on a cold and crappy weekday morning on the first day really brings that home in a meaningful way.
I don’t think there’s an organized conspiracy to paint the Mets in a bad light, but it does seem like, when there is a chance to paint the Mets in a bad light, people really want to take it.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)