Mar 16, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
The Bergen Record reports on the first day of Mets single-game ticket sales and paints a gloomy picture:
There was no wait at all until 10:25, when a line of just eight people formed. No one camped out overnight like years past; no one spent hours waiting. And plenty of good tickets still are available, as the cliché goes. One father walked away with four tickets to the home opener. Several others bought Subway Series games.
This is outrageously shocking and, frankly, depressing. I mean, people still actually line up to buy tickets in the cold when you can purchase them from the comfort of your own home via the Internet? Who were those eight people on line? Are they aware that they didn’t need to go down to Citi Field to buy tickets? I’m actually kind of worried about them.
Seriously, though, I know that Mets attendance isn’t fabulous, but I’m not sure how a snapshot of the ticket gate on a cold and crappy weekday morning on the first day really brings that home in a meaningful way.
I don’t think there’s an organized conspiracy to paint the Mets in a bad light, but it does seem like, when there is a chance to paint the Mets in a bad light, people really want to take it.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)