Mar 16, 2011, 9:32 AM EDT
Tony La Russa’s date of birth: October 4, 1944
Charlie Manuel’s date of birth: January 4, 1944
I understand how one may assume that La Russa is the oldest manager in baseball by virtue of him constantly implying that he invented the damn game, but Cholly is older. Both in actual age and in spirit.
I mean, I once interviewed Manuel while sitting in an automat that, on his instructions, I reached by streetcar (“you know, because of the gas rationing, what with the war on and all,” he said to me.). I tried to go back there the next day but the automat and the streetcar had strangely disappeared. I tried to call him on the number he gave me — “KLondike 5-3532″ — but the number was disconnected.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)