Mar 16, 2011, 9:32 AM EST
Tony La Russa’s date of birth: October 4, 1944
Charlie Manuel’s date of birth: January 4, 1944
I understand how one may assume that La Russa is the oldest manager in baseball by virtue of him constantly implying that he invented the damn game, but Cholly is older. Both in actual age and in spirit.
I mean, I once interviewed Manuel while sitting in an automat that, on his instructions, I reached by streetcar (“you know, because of the gas rationing, what with the war on and all,” he said to me.). I tried to go back there the next day but the automat and the streetcar had strangely disappeared. I tried to call him on the number he gave me — “KLondike 5-3532″ — but the number was disconnected.
- Rosenthal: Mariners’ offer to Robinson Cano hasn’t topped $200 million 0
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (131)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)