Mar 16, 2011, 9:58 PM EDT
For players with job security, spring box scores usually mean very little. But for players auditioning for new roles, a quality stat line can mean everything.
Enter Ivan Nova.
According to Tyler Kepner of the New York Times, the 24-year-old right-hander hurled six no-hit innings against the Orioles on Wednesday night in Tampa. He was on an 85-pitch limit, but he needed only 59 tosses to get through the outing and 41 of those throws went for strikes.
Nova struck out four and allowed only one baserunner via a first-inning hit by pitch. He faced 19 batters in all — one above the minimum.
The Yankees have kept a running competition this spring for the final two spots in their starting rotation and it took a while for the involved candidates to create separation. Nova is likely to capture the No. 4 spot for his stellar performance tonight and the success he has enjoyed all spring long. Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon will continue to duke it out for the final opening. The injured Sergio Mitre can probably be ruled out.
This winter might have been rough on the Yanks, but their rotation is finally coming together and looking at least somewhat promising. CC Sabathia, Phil Hughes and A.J. Burnett round out the top slots.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)