Jon Lester will be the Red Sox’ Opening Day starter

Mar 16, 2011, 12:00 PM EST

Lester_Jon

Terry Francona just announced that Jon Lester will be the Red Sox’ Opening Day starter (a full story on it is here). Seems right, at least if you subscribe to the “best starter from last year” theory of Opening Day starters.

Personally, I subscribe to the “Rick Mahler should be the Opening Day starter” school, but it’s fallen out of favor since Chuck Tanner died last month.

1. BC - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM

What, no love for Zane Smith?

2. uyf1950 - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Seriously, was there ever any doubt. Did anyone really expect Francona to pick Beckett or Lackey over Lester.

• BC - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I’d have considered Bucholz before Beckett or Lackey. But Lester is the right choice.

• uyf1950 - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I’d have considered Papelbon (Crapelbon) to his friends before Becket.
        I should apologize but that is such a cool name some poster gave him. Please whoever you are/were please make yourself known.

• BC - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I coined the Crapelbon moniker.
        Thank you… thank you…… I’ll be here all week. Tip your waiters and waitresses and try the veal…..

• uyf1950 - Mar 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM

BC – you are my hero.

3. fuggles7 - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Should go by tenure.. that would make… Wakefield the opening day starter?? Nevermind…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM

This is unrelated, but when Wakefield joined the Red Sox, Lester was 11. That’s just crazy.

4. beantownsports247 - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Just thankful the Sox don’t have the Yankees rotation .

• pisano - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:11 PM

After Lester and Bucholz they don’t look real healthy.Lackey(lacks) is an explosion waiting to happen, Beckett at this point is a #3 or #4, or #4 or# 5 and Dice-k you couldn’t give away.I don’t think I’d be slamming anyone’s pitching as Boston has two sound pitchers, then it’s a wing and a prayer.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM

It’s true, it would be unfair to say the Sox have a much better rotation. Better, sure, but not by much. Dice-K, Beckett, and even Lackey could all have either great or awful seasons.

• wendell7 - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Dice-K tossed 5 innings yesterday. 2-hits, 0-runs.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I hope he keeps it up, Wendell. I like the Red Sox #2 to my Cubs.

• j0esixpack - Mar 17, 2011 at 12:06 AM

I think a lot of Red Sox fans are really pulling for the Cubs too.

It’s time.

• uyf1950 - Mar 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Come on guys be real. If the back end of the Sox rotation is better it’s only very slightly better. Look at the the 3 Sox pitchers.
      Beckett, is living off an old reputation. He’s had 3 good years (out of 9) 2005, 2007, 2009. The other 6 years he’s just barely over .500 in winning % and his ERA is over 4
      Dice K, is terrible and he can’t even stay healthy.
      Lackey is well Lackey he’s going to win 12 to 14 games and his ERA will be around 4 plus. He’s going to be up and down.
      Those 3 guys are probably going to be no different then the back end of the Yankees rotation (AJ then 2 or the 3 Nova, Garcia or Colon).
      So until one of the rotations proves themselves in 2011 and discussion about which is better is folly. That’s just my opinion.

• beantownsports247 - Mar 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Glad only yankees fans think that ha . You just said that lackey dice k and beckett are no different then nova garcia and colon ? Get a grip you sound like an ignorant Yankees fan . Hughes isn’t even a shoe in , he had a horrible post season . I’ll take most of the baseball worlds opinions over yours but thanks . You have one reliable pitcher and thats CC. Enjoy the season , we will let it play out and talk about it then , everyone is entitled to an opinion .

• uyf1950 - Mar 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM

beantown – I normally don’t like to engage in personal attacks but since your reference to “an ignorant Yankee fan” I fell obliged to respond in kind. Most Red Sox fans on this site are thoughtful, courteous posters unfortunately that does not describe you what does describe you is a self absorbed, obnoxious Red Sox fan.
        In the future before you respond to a post you might make sure you have read it carefully. I never said Nova, Garcia and Colon were the same as Dice K, Beckett and Lackey. What I did say was AJ and 2 out of the 3 (Nova, Garcia and Colon) were probably going to be no different. There is a significant difference in the 2 comments. Do yourself a favor and make sure one of those courses you said you needed to complete your degree at the UF is reading comprehension.
        In the future I will NOT respond or comment on any of your posts I would appreciate you extending me the same courtesy.

• beantownsports247 - Mar 16, 2011 at 6:44 PM

NOVA GARCIA COLON ? Thats all that needs to be said , not even worth debating , the Red Sox rotation is not a whole bunch better but it is in fact better , that is a fact not an opinion , at least Kruk and Olney told me that , maybe you have more knowledge then most baseball analysts ? Sorry i don’t treat this site like it is a homework assignment in college , sounds like you have a pretty rough life when you can’t take something lightly . Ouch. ………… Okay im waiting on your snarky comment about literature and that I used one to many periods or commas in my post , because it upsets me so much when you do . AL east finish as follows : Red Sox , Rays , Yankees , O’s , Blue Jays .

5. beantownsports247 - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Pretty sure you ask any GM in baseball if they would take Lester,Clay,Lackey,Beckett,Dice-K or CC, Aj, Phil,insert name here , insert name here, they would take the first option 10 out of 10 times. Not really debatable. Now if you had Andy and Cliff Lee it would be a a different situation , but they don’t.

6. pisano - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I agree with you, but after Lester and Bucholz you have to admit it’s a crap shoot. It could be good or it could be ugly, hence crap shoot.

• indyralph - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I don’t care a wit for the Sox or Yanks, but even I can see that a crap shoot is better than just plain crap.

• beantownsports247 - Mar 16, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Agreed indy , valid point.

7. thinman61 - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM

In other news, grass is green and water is wet.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester