Mar 16, 2011, 4:20 PM EST
Last month Sherman reported that Millwood rejected a minor-league contract offer from the Yankees, which was exceptionally … well, let’s say “bold” for a 36-year-old who went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA last season and remains unsigned two weeks before Opening Day.
It’d be sort of tough to blame Millwood too much for seeking a guaranteed deal when the offseason began, as he earned $12 million last season and hasn’t had a salary under $7 million since 2002, but at this point what is he really holding out for? A guaranteed spot in the rotation for a 36-year-old who stunk last year and will be way behind everyone else even if he reports to spring training immediately? A few extra dollars in potential incentives he probably won’t reach and would barely make a dent in his career earnings anyway?
Incidentally, Millwood’s agent is … Scott Boras.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 256
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (256)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)