Mar 16, 2011, 1:43 PM EDT
Scott Downs, who signed a three-year, $15 million deal with the Angels this offseason, revealed today that he broke the big toe on his left foot while “playing around with my kids” and “just doing normal dad stuff at home.”
He’ll be out for at least two weeks and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Downs is more likely to miss a month, meaning he won’t be ready for Opening Day.
While sidelined Downs won’t be able to throw off a mound or run, but he’s planning to play catch and do plenty of exercise bike riding. Once healthy he’ll slide into a setup role in front of closer Fernando Rodney, although Downs could work his way into ninth-inning duties before long.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)