Mar 16, 2011, 1:43 PM EST
Scott Downs, who signed a three-year, $15 million deal with the Angels this offseason, revealed today that he broke the big toe on his left foot while “playing around with my kids” and “just doing normal dad stuff at home.”
He’ll be out for at least two weeks and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Downs is more likely to miss a month, meaning he won’t be ready for Opening Day.
While sidelined Downs won’t be able to throw off a mound or run, but he’s planning to play catch and do plenty of exercise bike riding. Once healthy he’ll slide into a setup role in front of closer Fernando Rodney, although Downs could work his way into ninth-inning duties before long.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)