Mar 16, 2011, 1:43 PM EDT
Scott Downs, who signed a three-year, $15 million deal with the Angels this offseason, revealed today that he broke the big toe on his left foot while “playing around with my kids” and “just doing normal dad stuff at home.”
He’ll be out for at least two weeks and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Downs is more likely to miss a month, meaning he won’t be ready for Opening Day.
While sidelined Downs won’t be able to throw off a mound or run, but he’s planning to play catch and do plenty of exercise bike riding. Once healthy he’ll slide into a setup role in front of closer Fernando Rodney, although Downs could work his way into ninth-inning duties before long.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million