Scott Downs out a month after breaking toe “playing around with my kids”

Mar 16, 2011, 1:43 PM EDT

Downs_Scott

Scott Downs, who signed a three-year, $15 million deal with the Angels this offseason, revealed today that he broke the big toe on his left foot while “playing around with my kids” and “just doing normal dad stuff at home.”

He’ll be out for at least two weeks and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Downs is more likely to miss a month, meaning he won’t be ready for Opening Day.

While sidelined Downs won’t be able to throw off a mound or run, but he’s planning to play catch and do plenty of exercise bike riding. Once healthy he’ll slide into a setup role in front of closer Fernando Rodney, although Downs could work his way into ninth-inning duties before long.

1. cur68 - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:46 PM

He’s a pretty good pitcher. Underrated like most of former his teammates the Blue Jays. If he sheds some weight while on the DL, works on some core strength and endurance he’ll do more than just work from the pen.

2. banksatdixie - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Downs’ last start was in 2006. So no matter how great of shape he gets in, its safe to say that ALL he will be doing is working out of the pen.

• cur68 - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Only in the context of the Jays who play in a MUCH tougher division. Have you seen the Angel’s starting rotation? Kazmir (9-15 5.94 ERA), Pineiro (who needs excellent D to get wins) & Reckling (8.53 ERA). Contrast to Downs (ERA 2.64). That kind of ERA gets starts, especially when the D starts to break down, injuries mount (Kazmir is increasingly delicate) and Reckling’s 5 cent head (he’s, what, 22, 23? He’s a kid and it shows) gives away games. Anyways, if I’m wrong (and I make a nice living being wrong), the Angels do well and have a solid bullpen guy in Downs.

• banksatdixie - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:30 PM

If you’re looking at ERAs as being indicative of getting starts then you’re missing out on a whole lot of statistics that matter. I’ll swallow my shoe if Downs is in LAAs rotation.

• cur68 - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Get a jerky shoe then, or buy some really fine mustard, because that team needs pitching and many a reliever has had to start when the lineup looks like the Angel’s lineup. I hope you’re right because I really want the Angels to do something this year. It made me sick watching them bumbling along last season.

• banksatdixie - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

He turns 35 tomorrow, and they just invested $15MM in him to be a back of the bullpen guy.

• cur68 - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Well, in the off chance he reads this stuff, Happy Birthday Scott Downs. As to what they paid him to pitch from the bullpen; who cares? They pay him to pitch. Period. It would be an utter fool of a manger, in need of a starting pitcher, who says “well I got guy with an ERA under 3 in the bullpen but I’m paying him to pitch from there so I’ll call up some kid from the minors..”. Sciosia is no fool and the confluence of events when we speak if injuries, poor play, and inexperience has seen many a bullpen guy get a start no matter their age or last start. Downs, in shape, rested, and motivated, could give a team 5 innings easy of good stuff.

• spindervish - Mar 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Couple more things:

– Contracts do matter

– An ERA in the bullpen and an ERA in the rotation are not the same thing. Maybe you realize this, but it doesn’t appear you do since you keep bringing up Downs’ sparkling ERA. Or maybe you think guys like K-Rod and Rivera are being wasted in 1-inning roles?

– On that “Scioscia is no fool” comment – not so fast there…his lineup decisions and obsession with running his team into outs has me a bit skeptical.

• cur68 - Mar 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

That Sioscia thing works both ways with this argument, you know. He might be thought foolish for doing it or he might be thought foolish for not.
        I do realize that his ERA from the BP is different from that of a starter BUT I’ve watched him a lot on Jays. He has the goods. I’m not saying this about a pitcher I don’t know. The question with him is stamina. And as I said originally, in a “what if” kind of way, if he’s in better shape he could do it.

• pauleee - Mar 16, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I’m not sure who Reckling is but he’s not on the Angels. Also, when Pineiro’s stuff is working he gets a lot of ground balls and he doesn’t need excellent D behind him, just something better than the Angels showed last year. Downs won’t start, but rather will take the closing job from Rodney, who was terribly inconsistent last year. Though not spectacular, the starting rotation is not going to be the problem and if Santana stays healthy and Haren finally starts to pitch for us, they might be in contention.

//Daring to dream

3. spindervish - Mar 16, 2011 at 3:02 PM

You seem pretty committed to this argument, but it really does seem like a pretty ludicrous one. Not that it’s necessarily a bad idea, just one that’s very, very unlikely to happen. I honestly don’t even know who this Reckling character is, but he’s not in the rotation right now (Weaver, Haren, Santana, Pineiro, Kazmir). So I would guess that means he’s an option to fill in for an injured starter. And they also have Matt Palmer still (I think), who as a swingman would certainly be ahead of Downs for starts. And just in general, baseball teams are far more likely to give fill-in starts to middling guys like Palmer and young kids from Triple-A than to established, high-leverage relievers. Starting Downs would screw up the back end of their bullpen.

Basically a ridiculous amount of things would have to go wrong for the Angels to move Downs into the rotation this season.

• cur68 - Mar 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Sure, I agree, A ridiculous number of things. But check out the Jays. See last year. Brian Tallet. It happens.

4. banksatdixie - Mar 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Of all people to have a man-crush on, Scott Downs seems like an odd choice.

• cur68 - Mar 16, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Scotty? Nah. I’m saving myself for Roger Bernadina. He’s in the best shape of his life you know. Its just that I think Downs can start, providing he does something about that double chin he’s been working on the past few years.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3869)