The Mariners release their annual funny TV ads

Mar 16, 2011, 11:30 AM EST

Every year the Mariners release some pretty-clever-for-a-baseball team TV commercials.  This year is no exception.  There are five of them, all of which you can see over at the Seattle Times page.  This one, however, is my favorite because (a) it’s self-aware; and (b) it features both a bald guy and a hairy guy. Not that, um, that has any significance for me whatsoever:

1. banksatdixie - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Two points:

1) The esthetician is very attractive.

2) Why is this man getting his chest waxed in the first place?

2. spudchukar - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for the kudos to Northwest humor. Inspired by old Ranier commercials.

3. apbaguy - Mar 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM

That is funny. And Jack Z has me convinced! Well, maybe not entirely.

The A’s do funny commercials too, featuring the players. What’s funnier is that by mid-season half the players in the commercial are gone, either through injury or trade, and the commercials become sad and wistful. What might have been…

They need to do a series of commercials about how you can come to the Mausoleum and really spread out. You’ll never get that cramped, crowded feeling like in Fenway :)

4. Reflex - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Always good stuff, and this really is a direct reply to Yankeesfanlen’s comments about the M’s expectations this season. Nobody expects them to be good this year, this year is about developing young talent, which they happen to be loaded with. He also calls out that they are building around Ichiro on the offense, and Felix in the rotation. This is not a short term plan, its one designed to have a solid core with a leader for the offense and pitching. In short, this is an opportunity for Felix. Yeah this year will suck. Next year likely will too. But its gonna get better if things work according to the plan.

My god, at this rate I spend so much time defending the M’s against Yankees fans that I should just get some team merchandise and call myself a fan.

(that said, I’d be saying the same things if they started going on about how the Giants were going to ship Lincecum to the Yanks cause ‘they couldn’t afford him’ or whatever)

5. IdahoMariner - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I liked the Ichiro and Guti commercials for sheer humor and child-like happy-to-be-on-the-field-again-ness, although I agree, points to Jack for self-awareness.

6. marshmallowsnake - Mar 16, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I liked the Bernadez and Ichiro ones…and Ichiro sounds pretty good saying, “You’re welcome.”

7. easports82 - Mar 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Strange to not hear Niehaus’ voice at the end…

8. tribester - Mar 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Gutierrez always makes it look so easy.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4634)