Adrian Beltre’s head-rubbing nightmare continues in Texas

Mar 17, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

adrian beltre head rubbing red sox

Adrian Beltre really, really hates it when someone touches his head and his Red Sox teammates did it so much in the dugout last season that there’s a website filled with video clips of him freaking out.

He changed teams during the offseason and signed a five-year, $80 million contract, but that won’t keep his new teammates from picking up the head-touching slack. In fact, as T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com writes various Rangers are already making a habit of exploiting Beltre’s weird … I dunno, I guess phobia?

For instance, here’s Elvis Andrus:

Oh yeah … a bunch of times. He better get used to it. He might kick my tail, but I’m going to do it.

And now reigning MVP Josh Hamilton:

Guys just find out and everybody knows about Adrian. You can tell we get him to a point where he might lose it and then we back off. You don’t want it to come to a point where he doesn’t want to come to work because he feels tormented. I have to get to know him better, but that day’s coming.

Yes, you wouldn’t want to rub a man’s head without getting to know him better first.

The primary head-rubbing culprit in Boston was Victor Martinez, so at least Beltre is free from him. He’s still holding onto that grudge, though:

Sometimes I thought about killing him. But I thought about it. I have a family so I didn’t.

Beltre tried to tell Sullivan that the whole head-rubbing thing is actually “no big deal,” but there are a few dozen highly amusing video clips to suggest otherwise and a whole clubhouse full of brand new teammates don’t immediately take such glee in tormenting someone about something unless it’s a pretty big deal for them. Unfortunately for Beltre, he’s probably long past the whole “act like it doesn’t bother you” thing being an effective deterrent.

1. mdpickles - Mar 17, 2011 at 10:29 AM

“when you get that nice celebration coming into the dugout and you’re getting your ass hammered by guys, it’s no better feeling than to have that done.” – Matt Stairs..
    Beltre is lucky he doesn’t play for the Phillies!

• mrhojorisin - Mar 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

That is the most frightening quote I’ve ever read.

2. zacksdad - Mar 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Beltre is lucky he does not play for a team with Roman Catholic Priests.

• phukyouk - Mar 17, 2011 at 11:47 AM

ZING!

3. monsieurbear - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Beltre should have insisted on a clause in his contract in which the team pays him some non-trivial amount (say $5K) for each head rub by a team mate. Management would then have strictly enforced a head rubbing ban.

• dfensfelix - Mar 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

That is the single dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. My brain hurts from reading it. I’ve got a bloody nose now, thanks. Thanks a lot.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2962)