Mar 17, 2011, 3:19 PM EST
Andrew Bailey gave the A’s a scare when he left Monday’s game grabbing his surgically repaired elbow, but Dr. James Andrews found no structural damage and Bailey said today that the “ripping” sensation he felt was likely just scar tissue breaking up.
Bailey told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that he hopes to resume throwing within the next week, but admitted that he’s no sure thing to be ready for Opening Day.
As for Bailey’s trip to see Dr. Andrews, he called it “nerve-wracking” and shared his parting words: “I love you, Doc, but I don’t want to see you anymore.”
If he’s not ready to begin the season as closer Brian Fuentes will take over ninth-inning duties for the A’s, who have one of the deepest bullpens in baseball with or without Bailey leading the way.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)