Mar 17, 2011, 3:19 PM EST
Andrew Bailey gave the A’s a scare when he left Monday’s game grabbing his surgically repaired elbow, but Dr. James Andrews found no structural damage and Bailey said today that the “ripping” sensation he felt was likely just scar tissue breaking up.
Bailey told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle that he hopes to resume throwing within the next week, but admitted that he’s no sure thing to be ready for Opening Day.
As for Bailey’s trip to see Dr. Andrews, he called it “nerve-wracking” and shared his parting words: “I love you, Doc, but I don’t want to see you anymore.”
If he’s not ready to begin the season as closer Brian Fuentes will take over ninth-inning duties for the A’s, who have one of the deepest bullpens in baseball with or without Bailey leading the way.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)