Mar 17, 2011, 11:20 AM EST
All offseason I’ve been wondering if the Marlins are nuts for thinking Chris Coghlan can hack it defensively as an everyday center fielder, but it may be a while before we find out.
Coghlan has been sidelined by a inflammation and tendinitis in his rotator cuff and recently suffered a setback, with Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post now reporting that he “might not be ready for Opening Day.”
Here’s what Coghlan said about his current status:
My arm is just not ready to go. I can’t keep going out there and kind of baby-ing my arm. Hopefully it gets better and I’ll be ready to go April 1. Hopefully, I’ll be able to go before then and play the last couple of games with the team. That’s what I want. Time will tell.
In the meantime Coghlan’s only game action will come against minor leaguers and Capozzi reports that he’ll avoid “testing his throwing arm.” So, to any Marlins prospects reading this: Feel free to take that extra base on anything hit to center field!
Capozzi speculates that DeWayne Wise would get the nod in center field if Coghlan begins the season on the disabled, which shows the Marlins’ lack of depth and the risk of trusting that Coghlan can handle center field even setting aside the injury. Wise is a career-long journeyman with a .222 batting average and .260 on-base percentage in 362 games. He’s a much better defender than Coghlan, but overall he’s Triple-A caliber.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)