Mar 17, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT
All offseason I’ve been wondering if the Marlins are nuts for thinking Chris Coghlan can hack it defensively as an everyday center fielder, but it may be a while before we find out.
Coghlan has been sidelined by a inflammation and tendinitis in his rotator cuff and recently suffered a setback, with Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post now reporting that he “might not be ready for Opening Day.”
Here’s what Coghlan said about his current status:
My arm is just not ready to go. I can’t keep going out there and kind of baby-ing my arm. Hopefully it gets better and I’ll be ready to go April 1. Hopefully, I’ll be able to go before then and play the last couple of games with the team. That’s what I want. Time will tell.
In the meantime Coghlan’s only game action will come against minor leaguers and Capozzi reports that he’ll avoid “testing his throwing arm.” So, to any Marlins prospects reading this: Feel free to take that extra base on anything hit to center field!
Capozzi speculates that DeWayne Wise would get the nod in center field if Coghlan begins the season on the disabled, which shows the Marlins’ lack of depth and the risk of trusting that Coghlan can handle center field even setting aside the injury. Wise is a career-long journeyman with a .222 batting average and .260 on-base percentage in 362 games. He’s a much better defender than Coghlan, but overall he’s Triple-A caliber.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)