Mar 17, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT
All offseason I’ve been wondering if the Marlins are nuts for thinking Chris Coghlan can hack it defensively as an everyday center fielder, but it may be a while before we find out.
Coghlan has been sidelined by a inflammation and tendinitis in his rotator cuff and recently suffered a setback, with Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post now reporting that he “might not be ready for Opening Day.”
Here’s what Coghlan said about his current status:
My arm is just not ready to go. I can’t keep going out there and kind of baby-ing my arm. Hopefully it gets better and I’ll be ready to go April 1. Hopefully, I’ll be able to go before then and play the last couple of games with the team. That’s what I want. Time will tell.
In the meantime Coghlan’s only game action will come against minor leaguers and Capozzi reports that he’ll avoid “testing his throwing arm.” So, to any Marlins prospects reading this: Feel free to take that extra base on anything hit to center field!
Capozzi speculates that DeWayne Wise would get the nod in center field if Coghlan begins the season on the disabled, which shows the Marlins’ lack of depth and the risk of trusting that Coghlan can handle center field even setting aside the injury. Wise is a career-long journeyman with a .222 batting average and .260 on-base percentage in 362 games. He’s a much better defender than Coghlan, but overall he’s Triple-A caliber.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)