Mar 17, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
It’s actually a tie between Phillies and Eagles fans as the worst — the subheading to their ranking being “the meanest fans in America” — but I imagine there’s substantial overlap. GQ:
All told, Philadelphia stadiums house the most monstrous collection of humanity outside of the federal penal system. “Some of these people would boo the crack in the Liberty Bell,” baseball legend Pete Rose once said. More likely, these savages would have thrown the battery that cracked it.
And yes, there is a reference to booing Santa Claus and the Michael Irvin thing and the intentional barfer and all of the stuff you’ve heard before.
But before you get worked up, Phillies fans, understand that this is a giant troll. The editors at GQ have no strong feelings about this list in general or the fans in Philadelphia in particular. They sat down and said “what will piss people off and get them clicking,” and they came up with this. The fact that it’s in slide show form is the giveaway. They just want to crank you up and get you sending the link around.
As for that link: I am obligated by the laws of blogging to provide it — here it is — but if you don’t find these sorts of things amusing or if you take offense at it, I don’t recommend that you click it, because that’s what they’re going for.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)