Mar 17, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
It’s actually a tie between Phillies and Eagles fans as the worst — the subheading to their ranking being “the meanest fans in America” — but I imagine there’s substantial overlap. GQ:
All told, Philadelphia stadiums house the most monstrous collection of humanity outside of the federal penal system. “Some of these people would boo the crack in the Liberty Bell,” baseball legend Pete Rose once said. More likely, these savages would have thrown the battery that cracked it.
And yes, there is a reference to booing Santa Claus and the Michael Irvin thing and the intentional barfer and all of the stuff you’ve heard before.
But before you get worked up, Phillies fans, understand that this is a giant troll. The editors at GQ have no strong feelings about this list in general or the fans in Philadelphia in particular. They sat down and said “what will piss people off and get them clicking,” and they came up with this. The fact that it’s in slide show form is the giveaway. They just want to crank you up and get you sending the link around.
As for that link: I am obligated by the laws of blogging to provide it — here it is — but if you don’t find these sorts of things amusing or if you take offense at it, I don’t recommend that you click it, because that’s what they’re going for.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)