Mar 17, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
It’s actually a tie between Phillies and Eagles fans as the worst — the subheading to their ranking being “the meanest fans in America” — but I imagine there’s substantial overlap. GQ:
All told, Philadelphia stadiums house the most monstrous collection of humanity outside of the federal penal system. “Some of these people would boo the crack in the Liberty Bell,” baseball legend Pete Rose once said. More likely, these savages would have thrown the battery that cracked it.
And yes, there is a reference to booing Santa Claus and the Michael Irvin thing and the intentional barfer and all of the stuff you’ve heard before.
But before you get worked up, Phillies fans, understand that this is a giant troll. The editors at GQ have no strong feelings about this list in general or the fans in Philadelphia in particular. They sat down and said “what will piss people off and get them clicking,” and they came up with this. The fact that it’s in slide show form is the giveaway. They just want to crank you up and get you sending the link around.
As for that link: I am obligated by the laws of blogging to provide it — here it is — but if you don’t find these sorts of things amusing or if you take offense at it, I don’t recommend that you click it, because that’s what they’re going for.
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)