Mar 17, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
It’s actually a tie between Phillies and Eagles fans as the worst — the subheading to their ranking being “the meanest fans in America” — but I imagine there’s substantial overlap. GQ:
All told, Philadelphia stadiums house the most monstrous collection of humanity outside of the federal penal system. “Some of these people would boo the crack in the Liberty Bell,” baseball legend Pete Rose once said. More likely, these savages would have thrown the battery that cracked it.
And yes, there is a reference to booing Santa Claus and the Michael Irvin thing and the intentional barfer and all of the stuff you’ve heard before.
But before you get worked up, Phillies fans, understand that this is a giant troll. The editors at GQ have no strong feelings about this list in general or the fans in Philadelphia in particular. They sat down and said “what will piss people off and get them clicking,” and they came up with this. The fact that it’s in slide show form is the giveaway. They just want to crank you up and get you sending the link around.
As for that link: I am obligated by the laws of blogging to provide it — here it is — but if you don’t find these sorts of things amusing or if you take offense at it, I don’t recommend that you click it, because that’s what they’re going for.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 10
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 28
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)