Mar 17, 2011, 7:59 PM EST
The Brewers will already be without Zack Greinke for the first couple weeks of the 2011 season because of a fractured rib. Might another one of their top starters be on the sidelines for Opening Day?
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, right-hander Shaun Marcum was pulled after just three innings Thursday against the White Sox due to tightness in his throwing shoulder. Marcum was supposed to throw 75 pitches, but he fell well short of that goal.
The 29-year-old former Blue Jay told Haudricourt and the other reporters in Brewers camp that he doesn’t anticipate missing his next start and that he would have continued had it been a regular season outing:
“We don’t want to push it and take a chance of doing something stupid,” said Marcum. “We thought it would be best to come out now and go about it that route. It felt good the first two innings and in between the second and third it started tightening up. We just decided it would be in the best interest to not go back out. If this is regular season, especially August or September, I’m pitching through it and not saying a word.”
For now we have to take Marcum at his word, but ESPN’s Buster Olney heard from Brewers manager Ron Roenicke that the organization is at least somewhat concerned that this could be a lingering issue.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 26
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (85)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)