Mar 17, 2011, 7:59 PM EDT
The Brewers will already be without Zack Greinke for the first couple weeks of the 2011 season because of a fractured rib. Might another one of their top starters be on the sidelines for Opening Day?
According to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, right-hander Shaun Marcum was pulled after just three innings Thursday against the White Sox due to tightness in his throwing shoulder. Marcum was supposed to throw 75 pitches, but he fell well short of that goal.
The 29-year-old former Blue Jay told Haudricourt and the other reporters in Brewers camp that he doesn’t anticipate missing his next start and that he would have continued had it been a regular season outing:
“We don’t want to push it and take a chance of doing something stupid,” said Marcum. “We thought it would be best to come out now and go about it that route. It felt good the first two innings and in between the second and third it started tightening up. We just decided it would be in the best interest to not go back out. If this is regular season, especially August or September, I’m pitching through it and not saying a word.”
For now we have to take Marcum at his word, but ESPN’s Buster Olney heard from Brewers manager Ron Roenicke that the organization is at least somewhat concerned that this could be a lingering issue.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)