Omar Minaya “antsy” to return to baseball, has offer from Mets

Mar 17, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT

Omar Minaya AP

“An industry source” told Mike Puma of the New York Post that former general manager Omar Minaya is “antsy” to find another job in baseball after being fired by the Mets.

However, according to Puma he “still is exploring options” while being paid $2 million this season as part of his contract with the Mets.

That money owed to Minaya is separate from the Mets’ offer to have him return to the organization in a scouting role, which Puma says he “has not ruled out.”

If he feels like it while getting paid to do nothing this year Minaya could probably start a team from all the guys the Mets end up releasing with time still left on the contracts he gave them. For starters, Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo might be available this time next week.

1. Utley's Hair - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Do the Mutts realize the offer’s still on the table? Why the hell would it still be there? Dude torpedos your team for the foreseeable future and he doesn’t take an obvious gift over the course of four-plus months?

2. jamie54 - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Minaya barely qualifies to take out the garbage, let him try doing that and I’ll bet he can’t do it.

3. phukyouk - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:17 PM

i dont get it… have they not taken a lesson from the Kicks? i mean bringing this guy back in any capacity will just piss the fans off even more. they need to stop with all this bullsh*t and just clean house. start rebuilding now from the top down and in a few years they will be contenders again. it just doesnt make any sense to me.

• sdelmonte - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I think the Knicks are in no position to teach any lessons right now. Isiah is still lurking, and the jury on the big trade is still out.

• phukyouk - Mar 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM

“I think the Knicks are in no position to teach any lessons right now. Isiah is still lurking”

my point exactly. the fans are livid about that and yet the Muts will bring back the guy that almost single handedly destroyed them?

• rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:49 PM

what jury , they traded 4 player’s for a superstar, are any of those players going to a all star game, I;m a Knick fan, I liked those guy’s but we got a all star back, simple as that.

4. pisano - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Do the Mets have to be poked in the eye with a sharp stick before they realize this guy is a cancer. The only job they should give him (and I’d still be hesitant) is as a translator for the Latin players that can’t speak English.

5. uyf1950 - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM

The offer from the Mets makes perfect sense. If I can para-phase the once great 76er’s Alan Ivenson. We’re talking about the Mets, we’re talking about the Mets, it’s the Mets.

• uyf1950 - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:44 PM

oops. should have been Iverson. My mistake sorry.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Doesn’t using Allen Iverson as a wordsmith or something similar prove that you have jumped the shark?

6. yankeesfanlen - Mar 17, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I always thought as a rule of management, if you have someone around that you can not abide by, rather than strining along a bad situation, cut them loose and not have to look at their face anymore.
    Put another way, when they let the door hit them on the way out, for God’s sake- Bolt It!

7. Old Gator - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Is there a “BC” here anyplace? I have a delivery for him from his local pharmacy.

• rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Old G, I appreciate you more every time I read Purdueman. I have officially stopped reading his junk.

keep it real Old G

8. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM

start a team with two guy’s, really, Aaron what you be smokin son, holla back.

9. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

I live in New York and I don’t read the Post, they be lying.

10. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Minaya put together the 2007 team that lost to the Cardinals, then his team
    blew big leads, I guess people forget that the players lost the game, not him.

11. mrznyc - Mar 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Minaya was symptomatic of the idiots at the top – Bad news is: They’re still there.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3337)