Robinson Cano says ‘no chance’ he hits 40 homers

Mar 17, 2011, 2:25 AM EDT

cano-110316.standard[1]

New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano is a very good player, and with a few more seasons like 2010 (.319, 29 HRs, 109 RBIs, 103 runs), he could even become great.

But even he knows it’s wise to keep expectations in check. So on Wednesday when Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long said he wouldn’t be surprised if Cano hit 40 home runs this year, Cano essentially did this.

When he regained his composure, he shared his thoughts on the matter with the media, including Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York:

“No chance.”

After the laughter died down, it became obvious Cano was serious. “Maybe if you put in an extra half a season,” he said. “That’s not in my mind. I don’t think I’m a home run hitter. Most of my home runs are line drives. If I hit it, thanks God. But it’s not the kind of thing that I think about. I just go out there and try to have a beter season than I had before. Home runs are not in my mind.”

Amusing story, but Cano is right. He isn’t Adam Dunn. Nor is he Ken Griffey Jr., who interestingly also always insisted he wasn’t a home run hitter.

Cano has an ultra-quick, compact swing and can drive the ball out of the park — particularly to the short porch in right field at Yankee Stadium – when he catches it right. He’ll hit his share of homers, but that’s not all he’s about.

And while Long was merely heaping praise on a star hitter, Cano is wise to focus on just hitting the ball hard, and letting the home runs come when they do.

You can follow Bob on Twitter, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 17, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Let’s let him hit 40- AFTER ARod, Tex and Swish have theirs safely in the bag.

2. pisano - Mar 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I wouldn’t sell myself short if I were him. He’s a strong guy with a very quick bat and I would say he will hit 30+ homers a year. Also what really goes unsaid is his fielding and his arm strength. He’s the best all around second baseman in baseball all aspects of the game considered.

3. yankeesgameday - Mar 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM

In case you guys haven’t heard yet, Brett Gardner is leading off tonight against Tampa and Jeter is batting second. I’ve got to applaud Joe who said he will spend the next two weeks with this approach to the team, and based on the Hit and Run he put on in the top of the first last night with Jeter and Swisher I think we are looking at a manager who could possibly be breaking out of his Earl Weaver mode and getting ready to put runners, not just on base, but in scoring position for the amazing RBI men in the heart of the order.

• pisano - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I like Gardner leading off, but I’m afraid of Jeter hitting second. He hit into a lot of double plays last year. I feel he should be in the eighth or ninth spot. I just don’t see much out of him anymore, but I will gladly say I was wrong if he can produce.

• cur68 - Mar 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Way I see it, with no stride, his bat’ll be faster due to a shorter swing. Paul Molitor used to clip them out of the park using this technique, but his swing was down and through. I seem to recall that Jeets has the habit of pulling his hands across his middle as he swings. So he’ll hit the ball a more but he’ll lose power IMO. Its probably going to be a lot of DPs for Jeets this year.

All the trade deadline news to know