Mar 17, 2011, 1:37 PM EST
So the new GM conceded he is bewildered by the attention fans and the media have heaped on the second base and lefty specialist competitions – and the two least popular entrants.
“It’s a little odd,” Alderson said. “I think it does distract one from taking a look at the team as a whole and having a more balanced view of the team as a whole. It’s easy to focus in on a couple of negatives and kind of ride that into the ground.”
In his defense, Alderson used to be the GM for a team that didn’t exactly set the world afire in terms of rabid fan interest and, even in the rare years it did have big payrolls, it didn’t have any giant bust contracts to speak of. The rest of us, however, are pretty well acquainted with just how frustrating it is when big free agent signings crater, and how it’s even worse when the team isn’t playing well overall. We tend to talk about that stuff.
And really, Sandy, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. If it wasn’t for the Perez and Castillo contracts, there’s a decent chance you’re still working for Bud Selig in the Commissioner’s Office.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)