Mar 17, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
So the new GM conceded he is bewildered by the attention fans and the media have heaped on the second base and lefty specialist competitions – and the two least popular entrants.
“It’s a little odd,” Alderson said. “I think it does distract one from taking a look at the team as a whole and having a more balanced view of the team as a whole. It’s easy to focus in on a couple of negatives and kind of ride that into the ground.”
In his defense, Alderson used to be the GM for a team that didn’t exactly set the world afire in terms of rabid fan interest and, even in the rare years it did have big payrolls, it didn’t have any giant bust contracts to speak of. The rest of us, however, are pretty well acquainted with just how frustrating it is when big free agent signings crater, and how it’s even worse when the team isn’t playing well overall. We tend to talk about that stuff.
And really, Sandy, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. If it wasn’t for the Perez and Castillo contracts, there’s a decent chance you’re still working for Bud Selig in the Commissioner’s Office.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)