Mar 17, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
So the new GM conceded he is bewildered by the attention fans and the media have heaped on the second base and lefty specialist competitions – and the two least popular entrants.
“It’s a little odd,” Alderson said. “I think it does distract one from taking a look at the team as a whole and having a more balanced view of the team as a whole. It’s easy to focus in on a couple of negatives and kind of ride that into the ground.”
In his defense, Alderson used to be the GM for a team that didn’t exactly set the world afire in terms of rabid fan interest and, even in the rare years it did have big payrolls, it didn’t have any giant bust contracts to speak of. The rest of us, however, are pretty well acquainted with just how frustrating it is when big free agent signings crater, and how it’s even worse when the team isn’t playing well overall. We tend to talk about that stuff.
And really, Sandy, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. If it wasn’t for the Perez and Castillo contracts, there’s a decent chance you’re still working for Bud Selig in the Commissioner’s Office.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 12
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)