Mar 17, 2011, 9:34 AM EDT
The prosecution in the Barry Bonds case wants to introduce into evidence recordings of voice mails from Bonds to his ex-girlfriend Kimberly Bell in which Bonds uses bad language and says abusive things to her.
Which is despicable. Unless the government is willing to submit that the only thing that ever causes people in romantic relationships to act like jerks to one another is steroids, than these recordings have no place in the case whatsoever. Any of you who have been in a relationship, however, know better.
There is no mention of steroid use in the voice mails. They make no mention of Greg Anderson, baseball, BALCO, syringes, cream, clear, flaxseed oil or anything else even remotely related to this case. They are wholly irrelevant in and of themselves and cast the defendant in a bad light for the sake of casting the defendant in a bad light. Either of those things would, standing alone, cause such evidence to be inadmissible, but together make their mere submission by the prosecution patently ridiculous.
These recordings are only being offered to paint Bonds as a monster on the eve of trial and to prejudice the jury pool against him. If they’re allowed into evidence, hey, bonus, but as long as the Daily News and everyone else who has it in for Bonds can splash the salacious content, mission accomplished.
This prosecution is a joke. And a sick one at that.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)