Mar 17, 2011, 9:34 AM EDT
The prosecution in the Barry Bonds case wants to introduce into evidence recordings of voice mails from Bonds to his ex-girlfriend Kimberly Bell in which Bonds uses bad language and says abusive things to her.
Which is despicable. Unless the government is willing to submit that the only thing that ever causes people in romantic relationships to act like jerks to one another is steroids, than these recordings have no place in the case whatsoever. Any of you who have been in a relationship, however, know better.
There is no mention of steroid use in the voice mails. They make no mention of Greg Anderson, baseball, BALCO, syringes, cream, clear, flaxseed oil or anything else even remotely related to this case. They are wholly irrelevant in and of themselves and cast the defendant in a bad light for the sake of casting the defendant in a bad light. Either of those things would, standing alone, cause such evidence to be inadmissible, but together make their mere submission by the prosecution patently ridiculous.
These recordings are only being offered to paint Bonds as a monster on the eve of trial and to prejudice the jury pool against him. If they’re allowed into evidence, hey, bonus, but as long as the Daily News and everyone else who has it in for Bonds can splash the salacious content, mission accomplished.
This prosecution is a joke. And a sick one at that.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)