The Padres may go retro with their uniforms in the future

Mar 17, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

Padres

At least sort of retro. They won’t bring back anything that looks like the handsome ensemble this man is wearing, but they may bring back that old quasi-Pac Man font from the mustard and brown jerseys while retaining the white and blue color scheme they currently have.

A glimpse of it — with a suggestion that such a beast may be in the Padres’ future — can be seen here, in an article unveiling the new Tucson Padres’ uniforms. Note: they also have the swinging friar on the cap, but I’m guessing the big club would never do that. Stick with the interlocking S and D.

My take: I like it. I’d prefer that they truly embrace the mustard and brown — and it can be done tastefully, contrary to popular belief — but the font change would be a nice step in the right direction. What they wear now looks like something that the local convention and visitors’ bureau thought up. ┬áIt’s just blah.

The Padres are kind of weird and always have been. And that’s a wonderful thing. The least they could do is to bring back a weird font.

1. b7p19 - Mar 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Craig, I’ve never felt as close to you as I do right now. If loving the Mustard and Brown is wrong then I don’t want to be right. And the last paragraph echos what I’ve been saying my entire life. They need to hold onto who they are.

Plus they’re magical. Tony Gwynn once stole 53 bases.

2. xpensivewinos - Mar 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Only an organization with a total lack of understanding of the team’s local history would think of something like this.

Let’s grasp at a history that really doesn’t exist and what there is of it is mostly brutal. Those uniforms conjure up nothing but negative memories and years and years of futility. 1984 was an aberration, not the norm. Those teams in those uniforms were perennial doormats. Charlie Brown would have been a #1 starter in those days.

The teams sucks and is getting worse, so what better way to embrace it than to wrap them up like the old Padres teams.

Here’s a thought: You want to sell some tickets, how about getting some decent players. No one gives a **** about going back to old uniforms that remind people of Dave Winfield and Ozzie Smith leaving, Ray Kroc getting on the PA to apologize for how pathetic the team was and year after year of 90 to 100 loss seasons.

Yup, brilliant marketing strategy.

• jamie54 - Mar 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Dude, you’re just a dope.

• b7p19 - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I don’t like your attitude. The bad years are just as important to the history of a franchise as the good years.

3. Utley's Hair - Mar 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Wow…first it was years of losing…then it was last year’s overachievers who collapsed at the end and traded away the face of the current franchise…and now this? Damn

4. bobwsc - Mar 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM

mustard and brown would be awesome. they should bring back the baby blues for Philly and Toronto and all the other wild art deco’ish unis from the 70’s while they’re at it. how many teams went pin-stripe to some degree and looked vanilla and awful?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:30 PM

If the Phightins bring back the powder blue, I’ll just hurl.

• kellyb9 - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM

For a classic team, the phils away uniforms should be grey and say “Philadelphia” across the chest…. but thats just one man’s opinion.

5. minnesconsin - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM

the camo has gotta go. it’s just terrible.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I didn’t get it and thought it was hideously stupid at first. But now I think it’s kinda cool as a tribute to 95%* of the fanbase is attached to Pendleton.

*might be a slight exaggeration

• kellyb9 - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Sad that I only have one thumbs up to give….

6. pisano - Mar 17, 2011 at 3:58 PM

They give away a franchise player,(A-Gone) but they’re more concerned about a uniform that looks like a taco. Go figure

Final take away from World Series