Mar 17, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
At least sort of retro. They won’t bring back anything that looks like the handsome ensemble this man is wearing, but they may bring back that old quasi-Pac Man font from the mustard and brown jerseys while retaining the white and blue color scheme they currently have.
A glimpse of it — with a suggestion that such a beast may be in the Padres’ future — can be seen here, in an article unveiling the new Tucson Padres’ uniforms. Note: they also have the swinging friar on the cap, but I’m guessing the big club would never do that. Stick with the interlocking S and D.
My take: I like it. I’d prefer that they truly embrace the mustard and brown — and it can be done tastefully, contrary to popular belief — but the font change would be a nice step in the right direction. What they wear now looks like something that the local convention and visitors’ bureau thought up. It’s just blah.
The Padres are kind of weird and always have been. And that’s a wonderful thing. The least they could do is to bring back a weird font.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)