Mar 17, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
As I sit here today I will still be rather surprised if the Giants don’t send first base prospect Brandon Belt down to Fresno to start the year, but that hasn’t stopped the Bay Area press from beating the drum for Belt. Here’s the Chronicle: “After Brandon Belt’s big day, where does he start?” Here’s the Merc: “Belt’s bat making a convincing argument.”
The Giants have Aubrey Huff on a new contract at first and veteran Pat Burrell in left field. For Belt to make the team, then, it requires either benching one of them or making Belt a backup, and neither of those seem likely at the moment. Add in the whole service time thing — keeping Belt down a couple of months could by the Giants another year of control — and the fact that even Buster Posey couldn’t break camp with the team when he was being blocked by lesser players, and you get the sense that it isn’t in the cards.
But boy howdy, if Pat Burrell doesn’t hit coming out of the gate …
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona